Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Do I Make My Mircophone Work With My Computer?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Jan 18, 2004.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    so i have been recording lately with a pretty basic setup, i use sound studio software with my computer's mic. but of course that is going to put out some pretty low quality recordings. but when i hook up a real microphone to the computer and i hit record, nothing comes up on the software. when you go into the setup preferences there should be an icon to choose that says something about the line-in microphone but that option isn't there. any help?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you might need to give us some more detail. Like how you are connecting everything and all that jazz. I Use a mixer and an edirol sound interface. That works quite well. You might consider something like that.

3. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    on the back of my computer there is an input for a microphone. i have a 1/8" adapter on my microphone so it will plug in correctly. and once it's plugged in is when it doesn't work.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, what kind of microphone is it?

5. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    i have no idea, it's just a cheap standard vocals microphone. it's not specialized for recording or anything.