How do I make my strings sound brighter??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by punk4string, Aug 21, 2000.

1. punk4string

Aug 21, 2000
    How exactly do I go about cleaning/rejuvenating my strings??
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Welcome to the board, Punk4.

I've read people do a bunch of things to make their strings brighter sounding: They'll boil them, dip them in Methanol and even put them in the oven. My advice, though, is that you'd be better off buying a new set of strings. It costs a bit more but it's much safer.

Will C.:cool:
  3. punk4string

Aug 21, 2000
    Well, I have no money for strings right now, that is why I came here looking for the best way to make them sound better for right now, I will have a job sometime in the near (within a month) future, and I will be able to purchase strings then. Farewell, and I hope this place stays as great as it already is.
  4. nuthin beats boiling them in water with a touch of vinigar for about 15 mins it works for me!

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I do exactly the same. Boil with Water and Vinegar.
    But I would higly recommend this in Nickel Plated strings.
    Some Stainless tend to rust.
  6. Well because i aint exactly a wiz in the kitchen, boil water? Vinegar this is new custom. lolol :D

I took my old strings off, went outside and found a large board/piece of ply wood sheet. And whipped the crap out of it. I whipped each string against the board about 10 times. My strings had some red winding at the end, it frayed a little but not much. U should see all the $hit that came out of them! hehehe Sounded nice afterwards as well.

7. 810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    merlin - yeah, i do that to my cats every now and then.
  8. punk4string

Aug 21, 2000
    Well, that cat beating thing sounds good.
  9. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Punk, While I have boiled my strings, I've had much better luck using denatured alcohol. I keep a big jar of it around, and place the strings in it for 24-48 hours. Really gets the gunk out. Besides, you don't have to deal with your mom/wife/girlfriend freaking out because you're boiling your strings in the spaghetti pot. When you do buy some new strings, check out D'Addario Prisms. They're very bright right out of the pack and retain their brightness really well.
  10. punk4string

Aug 21, 2000
    Ok, i will check that out. How much do the Prisms cost?