Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I mimic his Guitar chords?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass_si, Mar 20, 2003.

1. bass_si

bass_si

Dec 15, 2002
    England, UK
    Hiya. I am a beginner to the Bass and thoroughly enjoying playing tabs etc. However, as bassists appear to be a rare thing where I live, my musical friends are dead keen on having me join up with them and play along to their created songs. The thing is my friend plays the acoustic and writes out the chords he plays but I have no idea how i should play this on my Bass and always rely on him tabbing out my bass line which is quite frustrating!. This is proberly a very easy thing to do but how should interpret his guitar chords in order to understand where I should play on the bass. Is there a chart or something. Thanks lamer question no doubt.

2. bass_si

bass_si

Dec 15, 2002
    England, UK
    I think I have answered my own question by searching the site. Cheers for looking!. Newbies eh!.

3. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    It's not a lame question at all. I think what you're talking about is playing arppegios which is basicaly all the parts of a chord playing consecutively. I could take up a lot of room fubmbling around trying to explain chords but herez an excellent article that will teach u basic chord theory and how they are made. Introduction the scale and chord theory Now you could arppegiate all day long which gets kinda boring, but will sound ok or you could experiment with ur own lines, just play around with what he's written and you'll probably surprise yourself with what you can accomplish. I fell a cliche coming on.... Do what feels groovy... Cliche but true.

Peace out...