1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I modify my bass for BEAD tuning?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jeff7k, Aug 30, 2007.

1. jeff7k

jeff7k

Aug 30, 2007
    Orange County
    Greetings! I've got a Mexican Fender Jazz bass that I want to modify for BEAD tuning. Do I need a new nut? A new bridge? What do I need to do to modify the bass to accommodate the larger strings?

I appreciate any help!

Jeff

2. You will definetly need a new nut and, of course, a set of thicker strings. Once you have the strings you can easily check if they fit your bridge (just make shure if the thickest one threads easily into the hole). Once it does just go install the new nut. You can also modify your old nut, but it isn't usually recommended (don't ask me why).
    Thicker strings usually have less tension, so the stress on your neck will decease. Some relief adjustment will be enough to compensate this.

3. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    in addition, trussrod relief and most likely intonation will have to be redone.

4. Nut modification isn't for the faint of heart, and it takes a person with a great deal of patience. It also requires various files, and perhaps, labor day weekend could get it done.

but if u haven't had experience with this before, I would advise against doing it yourself unless you're feeling bold...VERY bold.

5. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    The simple solution would be to file out the nut with the string (assuming that it's roundwound) that you're going to be putting there, just making the slot just slightly larger than the string.

6. I've found that it wasn't enough for me, i had to break out the other files, it did make the nut smoother though.

7. my experiences going BEAD tuning...(assuming you ARE using strings typically gauged for such a change)

trussrod ... generally doesn't need touched

nut ... most likely needs the slots widened
    (NOT deepened...widened)

action ... generally doesn't need touched, but you may prefer a tweak or two...

intonation ... absolutely needs adjusted

8. +1 did mine with the strings in about 10 minutes flat :)

9. Hipshot D Tuner?

10. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Try cello tuning-- CGDA. :D

11. jeff7k

jeff7k

Aug 30, 2007
    Orange County
    Can I get a nut pre-filed for BEAD?

Thanks for all the help guys!

12. I deepened mine as well as widening. YMMV but the action at the nut was too high until I deepened it.

13. LeonLivingston

LeonLivingston

Aug 28, 2007
    Wisconsin
    you should be able to get a nut filed for BEAD at any music shop.

Cello Tuning is fun when you get used to it