Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Disturb3d, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Just wondering but can someone tell me the notes or keys to a 4 string bass guitar?? Thanks! :cool:

2. The four strings, in standard tuning, are E A D G, from lowest to highest. It's a pretty good idea to have a tuner of some kind as part of your beginning gear. You can probably get a cheaper model for $20-30 US.

Also, while those four strings are a good starting point, obviously there's a few other notes on the bass, so you can probably find a chart of that somewhere online. (I don't have a link to one off the top of my head, sorry.) :)

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Strings are tuned E, A, D and G, as you are looking down on them from above (thickest is E, thinnest is G).
    Fretboard notes are then:
    G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G
    D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D
    A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A
    E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E

The first notes listed (on the left margin) are your open notes. The last notes listed (along the right margin) are your 12th-fret notes (if you have fret markers on your bass, the 12th fret is indicated with two markers, as opposed to just one). The notes at the 12th fret are one octave above the open string notes. Fret markers should be at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th frets and at the 15th, 17th and 19th frets, etc.

I'd also like to welcome you to TalkBass and tell you that you may want to think about not posting in orange text anymore -- it was hard as hell to read against the blue BG! ;)

4. disturb3d, Damn that Orange type m3ss3d up my eyeballs now I can't read anything now...... I thinks basses are tun3d to J X T Q... if I'm not mistaken,,,:cool: :eek: :D

Fetch!

5. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan

No no no no no...

it's

D

:D

]['m t00 1337 f0r j00! :cool:

6. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Eh give him a break and just tell him and dont be a prick...:rolleyes: ...he's a newb

-cap

7. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    from the libster itself.. too bad it's gone now :(
    [​IMG]

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Get a teacher.

9. Hilikus

Hilikus

Jul 29, 2002
    Wales UK

If only that was easy:( :mad:

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Very easy - all guitar/bass shops have loads of cards advertising teachers and even the worst ones could show you the notes on the fretboard!!

If you're going to fall at that hurdle then it doesn't bode well for "making it" as a bassplayer in the future?

11. Hilikus

Hilikus

Jul 29, 2002
    Wales UK
    My local shop has no advertisments etc and the only ones are a couple of miles away and I have no solid transport to get me there all the time.........but things are looking up for a teacher cause a bass player my bro knows If he has time will teach me:).
    Bruce I havent given up and will not.