1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I propose a trade?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AfroMan Skeeter, Sep 18, 2008.

1. AfroMan Skeeter

AfroMan Skeeter

Dec 12, 2007
    First off, I hope this is the right forum :x If not I'm sorry, it's been a while since I've came to this site.

I have a SX 5 string Jazz Bass and a GK 4x10 and 1x15 (BLX-II) that I want to put up for a trade on craigslist or the sort, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to look for value wise.

So, is there a place to compare my prices to?

2. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    Well, first you get down on one knee, and then.... :)

I usually look around on CL, eBay, and the FS/FT sections here at TB to establish the value of anything I'm looking to buy/sell.

3. Check prices on CL(duh)& Evilbay. Non-supporting members asking here is a bit of a no-no. Read the rules in the classified section.

4. AfroMan Skeeter

AfroMan Skeeter

Dec 12, 2007
    Alright, I didn't find anything on CL or eBay, but I'll check on here. Funny, I didn't know there was a section on talkbass for that. In the end I need to trade locally, but I can get an idea on here I suppose.

5. I am always curious about how people trade basses on here safely.. seems alot riskier than paying via paypal with a credit card where you have both the card company and paypal to file a dispute with..

6. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia

Although I've never purchased or traded anything on here yet, I can see that there is a genuine amount of camaraderie on this site. I've only been a member for a few months now and I have already chatted with a number of people all over the country whom I would trust to do business with. I mean, anything is a risk when money is involved, but I just get that feeling that you don't have to worry as much as you would have to on CL or Ebay.

7. I've traded a number of items here- pedals, strings, etc-nothing too big. It's always a bit of a gamble, but do your homework. How long has the potential trader been a member? How's their feedback? Are there other references? For something like a cab or bass, I'd have to insist on a meeting- ideally in a neutral location, where the respective trade tems can be tested.

8. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    My trade/buying/selling experience here has been spectacular. You can always ask around and find nice things for a good price from nice people. My .02

9. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    I did my first trade on here a month ago. The other trader had 50 transactions, all with positive feedback, so i felt comfortable doing a long-distance trade of instruments.

The trade went well, and I'm loving my new" bass. I'm glad the other party was willing to trade with me, as I had no feedback at the time of the trade.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma

Well to do this you actually have to trust the person. I don't want this meant the wrong way, but if it seems too "risky", then it seems you don't trust folks in general.

I've done lots of trading (and buying and sellling). You have to look at all the pics, and if needed, request more of other specific areas. I'm sure it's obvious everyone sees the names among these boards, and it also obvious if those same names are folks who have already done trading, or they interact with other local members...in other words...we see it's an actual legit person that's legitimately into bass playing.
    The times I've traded, the two parties agree to ship their items on the same day, that way they arrive on the same day.

11. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I am humbled to say that when people, who had not dealt with me , asked for references, I told them several names from here and they all said stellar things about their experiences dealing with me. I always make public my positive experiences dealing with other TBers. It is important that others know that Tombowlus, midmoto, MarcusWillett, Brian Barrett, Cameronb000, Geoff St Germaine, Toasted, bryanonbass and vilkai (amongst others) are people that I have had the pleasure of dealing with (as a buyer/seller/trader). My apologies to all the other great TBers that I may have forgotten that I have had the pleasure of dealing with them

12. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    I've done lots of trades on TB as well with never a problem, yet. I think as a group we are a pretty trustworthy lot, as long as you use a bit of judgment and common sense.

13. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    If you're looking to put it up for a trade... why are you asking for prices?

Me thinks this is thinly veiled ad.

14. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I've had nothing but amazing outcomes from buying, selling and trading on TB. My feedback may only say I've been doing business with TB member for the past year and a half or so, but I've been doing business on here since 2003 before there was a feedback system, before there was a sanction on the classifieds forum as well. Never once have I gotten or given anything other then what was said.

You have to do your homework on the product, and definitely look at detailed pictures of the items in question which has been said before.

All in all, this is a highly regaurded forum, with very kind members. Sometimes it may seem otherwise when it comes to flaming and such, but there is a high morale around these parts.

Plus if you're buying, trading, or selling on here there is most likely record of your credit/debit information stored here.

So with that, it's always been a pleasure to deal with all of these members.

-Benny

15. millahh

Sep 20, 2005
    Hoboken
    I don't think it's an ad...I think the OP is trying to do their homework. It's a bit silly to go trading when you don't know the value of what you have, and what you're looking to get.

16. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    i've traded many times and never had a problem...just look for good feedback :)

17. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I used to buy and sell a lot on evil bay. Once I found TB, I do all transactions involving bass gear here.

I feel much more comfortable with the people here. It is a community. I have done two trades here, one for a Geddy Lee bass, the other for a SKB rack case. Both went smoothly.

You can easily check people's feedback here, and even contact people they have dealt with. Heck, half the stuff sold here has belonged to at least a couple of TBers. Folks here just love buying and trying new stuff. Ripping people off is not part of the program, so far as I can tell.

The nicest thing for me is that some of the deals have opened an opportunity to chat a bit with the fellow on the other side. You can meet some really nice folks, some of whom you tend to stay in contact with. For example, the guy I traded basses with...later I contacted him and bought an amp from him. We still PM each other, and he is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet. Virtually meet, I guess. But if I make it down to his part of the country, you can bet I will make it to one of his gigs.

One last thing...if somebody were to do you dirty, I think the other TBers would rise up in your defense. There is a lot of solidarity here and support for fair play.

Just my observations. I've only been here a year. There are guys with tons more experience than I have.

18. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    This is so true. Over the last almost 6 years I've been here I've read quite a few threads about TB'ers in areas of bad things happening rising up to confront the wrong doers. That being said, I've never once in my almost 6 years here read anything about a TB'er screwing over another TB'er. It's a community here, and more often then not, you'll get a better deal here then most anywhere else.

I'll do business here as long as this site is in opperation.

-Benny