1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I put together a press kit?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bass Momma, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Bass Momma

Bass Momma

Dec 25, 2017
    We're gigging as a duo now. (Our singer had a major career-ending stroke a few months ago, which forced serious changes of plan.) We've been getting gigs through people we know, but other places we've approached are asking for a press kit. We have some videos of us performing in the band, but not in the duo format.

So it's a bit patchy. We're putting together a gig list and a few videos on our website, but should I be aiming at something more specific?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I think today most bands have everything on their website, with:

- videos and audio recordings,
    - band photos and maybe short bios
    - contact info
    - list of songs

JRA and garp like this.
  3. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    PockySteve likes this.
  4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I think at this point, a press kit can be as simple as your website or facebook page. General info about the band, with some media(photos/video/audio) to give some sort of feel of what the performance will be like. You can link to it in an email pitch to a venue and put it on your business cards.

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    ePK is what I’d recommend.

What sets apart the mediocre from the outstanding is the quality of photographs and video you might use in an ePK. Avoid using the bog standard iPhone shot with crappy lighting. Get a proper photographer/videographer in for your shoot and have high resolution images and videos available.

Bandzoogle.com is a very good platform for painless hosting of a band website/ePK but you also will want to have presence on all the popular the social media feeds as well.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  6. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Just do a Website and have your info on FB.

7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    +1. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to spend $10K on a professional shoot, but you do want to hire someone who does this for a living...or at least aspires to.

There's a guy in my neck in the woods who advertises himself as a "band photographer," but his online portfolio belies any such claim. Caveat emptor.

DirtDog likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i agree that good pics are best practice = worth thousands of words! good luck with your project! :thumbsup: