Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do i raise the Pickup on My bass withought making it flimsy

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mz91, May 12, 2002.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I have an OLP and i want to raise the pickup so it is closer to the strings..but everytime i mess with the screws the pickup just loosens it doesnt stay on tight at its new hight. how do i make it higher while keeping it stable?

2. Well since I don't know diddly about this i am just going to go ahead and give U my advice anyway haha.
    After taking apart my Bass to see how everything works (yeah I may be to curios for my own good) I found that the screws have springs on them that hold the pickup at the right level. If yours don't try some springs out of a pen.Mine also had a piece of foam padding under it.

Anybody who thinks this is wrong please correct me before this poor guy ruins his bass.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The foam padding should do it for you. Cut to proper thickness and screw down to the height you want.

4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I wore out the screw holes on my neck PU. I like mine set high too. Solved the problem by (a) stuffing the screw holes with toothpicks and (b) wedging toothpicks into the space around the PU so it won't jiggle when I rest my thumb on it. Used the flat tapered toothpicks, not the round polished ones. Cheesy-seeming solution, but it's been holding for months with no signs of loosening whatsoever.

5. Good advice Htag...

I've done lots of piecing together foam for this purpose. There are some other sources for foams that work good like the packing for computers - not the beaded type - the firmer, "slick" feeling stuff works OK with some modification. It's just a little too stiff so I cut a series of sawtooth peaks in it to make the upper half of the foam block softer. Another source of decent foam is pipe insulation. You can get it at your local home improvement store. It comes in tubes (second choice) and in rolls (first choice). It's softer than other types and doesn't need modification, just stacking and trimming. You can also use pieces cut from flip-flop sandals - nice and firm.

And while we're at here, I've got a rant. Why in the world does it seem the screws used for pickups (long round head phillips wood screws) always have the worst screwdriver slots?? I can just about guarantee that after only a couple of adjustments that the slots will round over (even with the proper sized screwdriver) and make further adjustment or removal a pain!! The real kicker is that these screws are very special in configuration and you can't get them everywhere. Even my beloved everything-under-the-sun hardware store doesn't carry a suitable replacement. :mad:

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've run down to the local hardware store, and gotten small springs to help keep the pickup in place as well.

7. i cut up and stacked (with double-sided carpet tape) pieces of my mouse pad. it's almost too small to use for my mouse now B+).

it's firm and rubbery and will last a long time.