How do i raise the strings from bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Aug 1, 2004.

1. How do i raise the strings from the bridge to stop buzzing, its so annoying, i tried to raise them and i ended up with the strings having different heights :bawl: , so plz help me :(
    what should i use (screw driver, allen key, etc...) and how should it be done.

p.s what height should the strings normally be from the fret board so that they dont buzz especially on the "E" strings 1st fret....

2. B4L, your post indicates a long way to go in understanding the whole setup thing from beginning to end. Go here before you do anything else and read it over and over until you understand and then get back with us...

IF you aren't patient enough to do this, it's an indication that we won't be able to help you. Remember - read it over and over until you get the idea of what's happening with your instrument.
  3. i went to that site, i raised the strings using the allen key, the only problem now is that the 12th 13th 14th frets buzz. and they buzz more when i slap on them, its annoying, so i wanna know wats the problem, and how much should the string height be (ex. 1 cm,2cm,3cm) so i could finally end the annoying buzzing.
  4. Well, since you didn't study the information enough on that site to understand it (because it explains it in fabulous detail there) I'll give you the best answer I can...

Raise them until they stop buzzing!

There's about 10 paragraphs more to explain about the whole procedure and the why's and wherefore's but it's been explained thousands of times here. That's why we posted the link - so people could get the best, quality, most consistent explanation of the process. This is so that they would not only be able to make the adjustment but also understand WHY the adjustment was needed and how to adjust it back should it be required. That's the patience I said you needed. It's not a long site. It's written in fairly plain english. Hell, it's even got pictures. It's written for the player that's a novice at setup. If you don't have the patience to read it and understand it for yourself to help yourself, I'm not wasting my time to explain it because you won't have the patience to listen to me or anyone else either.

Hope this helps
  5. i read that site, i raised the strings i just wanna know how many centimeters or millimeters the strings should be from the fretboard!
  6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

the whole point of the ability to raise and lower the action is so you get to choose, if they were all suposed to be a certain height then you wouldnt be able to change it.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What people are trying to tell you is that buzzing is a result of more factors than just string height. So - neck relief is very important - your neck may be warped or bowed and this will have a big impact, for example - your nut and the height of the slots in it, will also affect buzzing, break angle of strings across the nut, windings, etc .

How hard you play, will also affect string buzzing. Overall, setup is always a compromise to get the best result, for your style - so people with light touch can get away with low action and improved playability, but people who dig in hard will need higher action.

8. Check this site,

It gives you a starting point for the distance between the string and the fret board.

There is no exact science because we are all different and have personal preferences, read more, study and then ask questions!