How do i read standard notation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    ive been reading off tabs now for about 7 months and want to know how to read standard notation as i have a big GCSE music exam, and have to write it down in notation, no tablature, could somebody explain to me how to read and write notation, like what does the double 44 stand for at the begginning of a piece of music? and how do you tell what fret needs to be pressed down on?!

Please help

2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It's easy. Just remember that's it's a multilinear pitched system w/ coded representations of note duration. Neumerific! If you need an intro to the basics, get Prologus in Antiphonarium by Guido of Arezzo. That guy rocks!
  3. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    dude u just said a bunch of stuff i didnt understand
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    That site is down, but someone on TB, (Gabu, if I am not mistaken) is hosting the files.
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I'm moving something go GI? Has the whole world gone topsy turvey?

Off you go.
  7. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you're studying for a GCSE in music, I'd suggest the best thing to do is ask your music teacher to help you pick up the basics of notation... isn't the subject coming up in your lessons at all?

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

You don't say when your exams are or why you have not been receiving instruction in standard notation as I am fairly certain most formal education systems that offer music instruction would require instruction in standard notation.

That said, I feel that a good book that teaches you to read would help you tremendously because it would be much more convenient than going to the Internet every time you want to study. Furthermore, I think you are going to have to dedicate a concentrated amount of effort on this endeavor in order to be prepared for the exam.

Another thing too, you say you will have to "write it down" in standard notation. Does that mean you will be required to do some transcription? That would require not only the knowledge of standard notation, but also ear training.

I would ask the school's music teacher what textbook on reading music he suggests. I'd also find out if you will need to know both bass clef and trebel clef. I'm not familiar with the exam you describe so I can't advise you in a more detailed fashion, but I do believe you'd better start as soon as possible. Reading music isn't hard, but it does take practice.
  9. Boplicity

This question indicates that you do not know the names of the notes at each fret of each string. It is crucial for you to develop "fretboard familiarization."

Many bass books have exercises and fretboard charts to help you with that task. Some web sites also have the bass fretboard marked with the names of the notes.

A book I might suggest...don't get scared by the "Improvising Jazz Bass" by Richard Laird. It tells you the name of each note at each fret (remember some frets actually have TWO note names such as C sharp/D flat.)

The beauty of this book is that it has dozens and dozens of reading exercises for bass clef. If you work your way through this book or one like it, you will be a far better musician as a result and very well prepared for the exam.
  10. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
  11. Boplicity

(Guess I don't get any thanks for my advice.:( )

Let us know how you do on the exam.
  12. i will say thanks
    So "thank you"
  13. Boplicity

My pleasure. :) :)
  14. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I got thanked and you did not doo dah doo dah

Seriously, Mrs Boplicity nee Oldstead I think you are mighty fine and a do a lot of good stuff here.
  15. Boplicity

CS, thanks for the props. Sometimes I feel as if I am banging my head against the wall here. I'm sure I'm not the only one either. It happens so often several of us take our time to answer a question, but the original poster never even comes back to comment. At least the original poster here took the time to thank you, CS. (I was envious that you got some credit and I didn't.:D )

In retrospect, however, it all seems so small in the big scheme of things. Afterall, people are starving or rotting in fetid prisons for years as political prisoners or dying from horrible diseases such as AIDS...and here I am being a fuss budget about getting thanks.
  16. Boplicity said....
    In retrospect, however, it all seems so small in the big scheme of things. Afterall, people are starving or rotting in fetid prisons for years as political prisoners or dying from horrible diseases such as AIDS...and here I am being a fuss budget about getting thanks.

Whilst you are quite correct, Boplicity, civility costs nothing IMHO.

In any case, it is probably not those people who are posting on TB so that they should, again IMHO, be able to pop up from time to time on their own threads and at the very least interact with the answerees (?).

Many of us on here - including me - genuinely value the advice given by some top players on TalkBass. Most bassists, here, are my musical peers and use that fact to learn and I try to remember to appreciate that advice.

17. Kung Fu

Kung Fu

Oct 18, 2002
    Bath, UK
    You should get this book called 'How to Read and Write Music' by Dave Stewart - it's quite funny as well the way he writes.

Check it out on
  18. MrSaturn

Oct 25, 2001
    Palm Springs, CA
    ????? So you're saying you have NO music knowledge except knowing how to read tab. Oy vhey, if you are getting lessons go punch your instructor in the face for me.