Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do i read?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by godsmack, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Hello everyone!, i need help to learn how to read bass cleff , i know how to read the other G cleff, that goes EFGABCDEF and those are keys for the G cleff, for the saxophone, but my question is: what is it for the bass cleff.

Please help me!!! ~ thank you !!!

2. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    In bass clef (F clef), starting from the bottom the lines are G-B-D-F-A, and the spaces are A-C-E-G. If you totally forget, the little dots on the bass clef surround the F line (like how the little swirly thing surrounds the G in treble clef).

Just remember that stuff written for bass actually sounds an octave lower than written (to keep from having to read so many ledger lines). So, if you have E written below the staff (open E string):

A---------
    F---------
    D---------
    B---------
    G---------
    -o-

You're really playing way down here:

A---------
    F---------
    D---------
    B---------
    G---------
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---
    o

That means if you're playing bass clef music written for some other instrument (like piano or tuba), you need to transpose up an octave. But if you're playing a written bass part, or stuff out of a bass instruction book or BP magazine, just play it as written.

Good luck!

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  4. ok, thank you, now how do you know where to put your fingers on the fret board, if you have the note of EX: D or F or B... like if you have the chords in a book as that... how would i know where to put them on the fret board? ... thank you