Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I record from tape to an mp3?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by embellisher, Aug 4, 2001.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

OK, I'm not the most savvy guy when it comes to making mp3's, but I do know audio and computer equipment.

I have a tape that one of my bands did several years ago, and I want to make an mp3 out of one of the songs, so I can show everyone what a sorry player I am.:)

I have a Kenwood cassette deck, pretty high quality(supposedly 30-18,000 hz) and a Soundblaster AWE64 soundcard.

First, will I get decent sound quality if I use the RCA outs on the cassette deck and then with an adapter, plug that into the 1/8" stereo mini aux jack on my soundcard?

Second, do I record it as a wav, a midi, or directly to an mp3?

Third, what is some decent freeware to facilitate this project?

Fourth, going through all of these steps, will the quality be halfway decent?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. I don't know about the quality. What i know is you need to recored it as a wav file and then convert it into Mp3. I pretty shure you can get a winamp plug in that will do this. I think windows media player can also do this. you might have Creative wave studio that works good to recorde wav files.

i think thats about all the help i can give you

3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Embellisher, I do this all the time. You should be able to get decent quality if the source tape is still ok. You have the whole process correct, but I prefer to burn the file onto hard disk in the same format that I want in the end, if possible. MusicMatch Jukebox will do this, and it was freeware last time I looked (I use it so much I finally bought a license). It'll also convert from .wav to MP3, which is also handy. The toughest part is getting your levels set using the Windows volume controls on your input line.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just stay away from Xing's MP3-Encoder, the LAME encoder is considered the best, and it's free.
    I don't know which encoder Jukebox uses. If you can select one, use LAME.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks, guys. I'll give it a try.

mchildree, the tape is a professional duplicate of a tape we made in an all digital recording studio, and it is in good shape.

Off to Radio Shack to find the correct adapter(s).