How do I remove wires from circuit boards like this and reattach them? What tools will I need?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by usernamev19, Aug 6, 2019.

1. usernamev19

usernamev19

Jul 10, 2019
    I am planning on shielding my bass, and I want to remove the 9v battery. The red cable of the battery is attached to the bottom-most white plastic thing. There's a foam pad on the back that was attached with adhesive, I gently pried it off to reveal more circuitry and various solder points. I have a soldering pump, wick, and a 40w iron along with pliers and some heat sinks. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone know what adhesive is used to attach the foam pad?
    20190806_184613.jpg 20190806_184637.jpg

Also, the 9v's black cable is attached to the input jack along with two other ground cables. Do you guys have advice for removing it without ruining the other cables? I'm worried that the other two ground cables will fall off when I heat up the solder to remove the 9v cable with pliers.
    20190806_184540.jpg

2. All those white thingy’s should be able to unclip from the circuit board...no de-soldering necessary.

For the input jack wires, perhaps if you have a small alligator clip to keep the other wires cinched down when de-soldering the 9v black to keep them in place.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  3. usernamev19

usernamev19

Jul 10, 2019
    Thank you, that is simple enough!
    So I just gently yank out the white things? Or is there a part I should avoid yanking on? I noticed that the white things seem to have two parts. I thought I was going to have to do something way out of my skill range.

4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Yup, those white connectors allow the wires to pull out (they are 2-part, one attached to the board, the other attached to the wires). You should be able to gently pull/pry them apart. As for the wires on the jack why not just take them all off? Take a little tape and secure them together, de-solder, then (when ready) re-solder.

usernamev19 likes this.
  5. Try and grasp the edges of the part the wires go into (marked red arrows):
    6E4BC614-96DA-47E4-913B-BC608D91172F.jpeg

If they don’t easily pull out, you might need to stick a tiny screw driver to unhook the C-shaped clip (blue arrows).

Attached Files:

Nashrakh, usernamev19 and Reedt2000 like this.
  6. usernamev19

usernamev19

Jul 10, 2019
    That's a great idea. When re-soldering them, how should I go about doing it? I've read that soldering should be done without relying on hand steadiness. If they're taped together, I figure that I could just heat up the solder then remove all 3 with pliers. Would you reckon I could twist the 3 ends together then heat up the remaining solder to reattach them?

A few days ago I had no idea what was going on inside my bass, but after asking around I have a much more confident grasp - thanks yall. Whoever assembled my bass also left tons of knots and tangles, I'm not sure if it's normal but it definitely looks like a rats nest.

There are also these connectors which appear to be both soldered and housed in a plastic complex. I would assume one would remove the solder points individually with a pump/wick then somehow position everything to reattach them.
    Halp1.jpg Halp2.jpg Halp3.jpg

7. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    You could try to twist the 3 together when re-soldering. You could also just put a bend in the end of each, making a tiny hook. Hook them all into the hole on the terminal, heat and solder. That other connection may (probably does) just pull away from the board. Chances are the board has a couple posts soldered on to it that the white connector presses on to.

usernamev19 likes this.
  8. usernamev19

usernamev19

Jul 10, 2019
    No cables or circuits were harmed. The connectors proved to be stubborn so I had to hold the soldered on portion with pliers. Thank you all.
    20190806_201358-1.jpg

9. usernamev19

usernamev19

Jul 10, 2019

I'm pretty sure you are correct after looking around it more. Appreciate the help.

Attached Files:

Reedt2000 likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021