Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I replace my saddle?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 311 fan, Mar 10, 2001.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    The old saddle on my Ibanez has worn down so I bought a new one. Im getting a lot of fret buzz. The problem is that the old one is stuck for an unknown reason.Do I just yank or ply the old one off and glue the new one on? Whats up?

2. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Not the things on the bridge, its the thing the strings sit on right above the first fret.

3. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    311 fan,

That part is the nut. Do a search here for posts with nut & remove/removal/replacement.

Sorry, didn't mean that to be as funny as it comes across. Just for the record, I've never removed anybody's nut. :)

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well, first you gotta get the horse to stand still...

;)

Sam's right, that's the nut you're trying to take off. Actually, getting that done right is pretty tricky, because the nut slots (where the strings go through) need to be filed to the right height to be most effective.

If you're dead set on doing it yourself, get a small flathead screwdriver and something to tap it with LIGHTLY. I usually use a small block of wood. Just slip the screwdriver under the edge of the nut, and tap with the wood block, it should pop up fairly easily. The nut is usually glued on with a drop of fairly tough glue, that is what you need to break loose.

To get it done right, I HIGHLY recommend you retain the services of a trained guitar and bass repairman. You'll be much happier than if you do it yourself, mess it up, and then end up having to pay him to fix that later.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Saddle and nut are both used to refer to that part of a bass.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's news to me. i've never heard the nut referred to as the saddle before.

wow, learn something new every day.