1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I report a TBer that scammed me?

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by Uncle K, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I sold a Boss OC-3 to a member on February 1st. He paid with PayPal. Yesterday I got an email from PayPal stating that the buyer did not authorize the payment. I did some snooping and he has apparently scammed some other members.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton valar morghulis Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Report the PM's between the two of you

staccatogrowl likes this.
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    And you post their name here.

4. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Does TB allow unilateral "name and shame"? It would surprise me if they did.

5. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Yeah it'd be ill-advised. If there's proof someone has been scamming, there's a good chance they'll end up getting banned anyway. Outing someone as a scammer in public without proof would just get deleted, and we wouldn't allow the proof to stay posted in public for privacy reasons.

6. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Why not contact paypal with the details of the transaction and let them know that this guy has pulled this scam before. Paypal will have all the records that will back up your claim that he's done this before and then they can investigate. Kindly alert the guy that you are doing that and if the value is enough file a claim for mail fraud - which is a federal offense. I haven't done the research on how it all works, but usually there are things you can do if you are willing to invest the time. Most scammers know you will only go so far before you give up and write it off...that's why they scam you.

7. Siggy

Siggy Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Who did you ship it to? The guy who bought it but said he didn't authorize payment?

8. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I called PayPal and talked to someone. He told me that he paid with a credit card and is disputing it with the credit card company. He asked for the tracking number, which I had, but tracking came up as 'not found' on USPS website.

9. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I did some snooping and he has pulled a similar scheme with another member.

Also, I should mention that I only got took for 80 bucks.

10. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    He said it was his wife's account. He PMed me his address which was the same address I got from PayPal. However the address was a school, not a private residence.

Perhaps I should have used better judgement, but in my defense he's been a member for seven years and has 100% positive feedback, with a score of 33.

Like I said, its only 80 bucks, the next guy probably wont be so lucky.

11. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I'm closing this as it's being discussed and handled on an administrative level now.

flojob likes this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.