How do I run more than 1 FX?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Usul, Apr 2, 2001.

1. This question may sound lame but ....

Currently I have the MXR Bass Octive pedal but would like to pick up a nice bass distortion pedal to boot.Is there something I need to do/know in hooking them up?Can I just link them with cables and use whichever one I need/want?Just don`t want to blow anything up here folks! :D

p.s.any suggestions on a nice bass distortion pedal(not toooo
    `spensive please!)would be helpful!
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Just cable the output of one into the input of the other. You should probably experiment with the order of the pedals, that is which one you have first in the chain as depending on the pedals you may like the sound better one way or the other when you have both effects on.
  3. And also let me throw in that you want to keep the cords between the f/x as short as possible (6" or less).
    I use a Danelectro Daddy-O Distortion. It has low, mid and high tone controls (so you don't lose any tone) along with volume and distortion rate. I use it with a 5 string and it handles the low notes very well. If there is a Cuitar Center near you, they have these pedals on sale for less than $50.
  4. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    On top of what has aready been said, I generaly like to get short chords that have 90 degree male ends, that way you can put your pedals really close together. Pedal boards work nicely as well, and you can make your own, just put velcro on the back of your pedal, then on a piece of plywood, make it look nice and neat, then your pedals won't slide around on stage.

I wouldn't worry about blowing anything up, I usually like to mix up effects too, use more than one at a time and see what you get, sometimes it works really well/weird.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    When you first hook the pedals up, set your amp at it's normal level and the pedals' output at "zero". Then gradually (very gradually) turn them up and you won't have to worry too much about blowing things up.
  6. i use the danelectro fab tone distortion and it only cost $80. a great buy. i also had an ehx bassballs pedal and wanted to hook them up at the same time. i went to my local music store and the guy made me a 4 inch cord out of scrap wire for free. it sounds great. you wont blow anything up as long as you keep things turned to normal loudness. keep in mind that when you turn on distortion the sound is slightly louder anyway. so there is no need to blast the amp with the distortion on to get a good sound.
  7. i suggest the BOSS OBD-3 Bass Overdrive. This sucker has got some great distortion/overdrive sounds. They go around for about 80 bucks. IMO the Danelectro doesnt even come close to this bad boy.