How do i safely remove a nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Aug 8, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    its graphite, i want to string my carvin 5 string to High C, and i think i should replace it.

Thanks for any information/suggestions.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Being a former Carvin owner, I would contact them, their tech's, like Dr. Sound, about this.

Service is one of things included in the Carvin price.

No one knows their gear better than the maker.
  3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I have safely (sp?) used the thin blade of my Old Timer pocket knife more than once. I have also just used my thumb and forefinger the apply pressure and pull straight up. Both work for me. Of course, be careful.:)
  4. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    thanks for the suggestion Rick... San Diego is 200 miles from where I live, so it's just too far to drive for a nut, but too close to justify shipping the thing... but i'll probablly end up doing what you said.

Stubi, i tried that once with a squier Pbass that i had, and i splintered the fretboard. It was no big deal then, but that was a $150 bass.... the carvin isn't worth splintering if there is any other option.
  5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I just said that it worked for me :cool:
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sorry, False, I probably wasn't clear enough. I just meant to contact them about HOW or IF it can be done. I've found them very good about giving out that kind of info.

Sure, have some qualified locally do it or do it yourself if you're comfortable with it. But contacting that service you paid for is valuable, IMO. As least you may see a screw-up before it happens.

And if it doesn't work out, you can always come back at them and say you got their advice.
  7. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I say listen to Rick on this one. Any kind of factory service/support is valuable. Good idea.

BTW, forget I said anything:D
  8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've taken off nuts by putting a screwdriver or something like that on the edge (the E-string side) and lightly tapping with a hammer.
  9. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    teeth are the answer to any problem.
  10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Perhaps you will need to replace it, but it wouldn't hurt anything to string it up with a high C with the existing nut to see what happens.

We have many posts of TBers who have gone low-B to high-C or the other way on their fives without changing the nut.

11. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    thanks, i'll definately see how it works without changing the nut, i'll even put paper in the grooves to see if that works. If I do have to change it though, i'll definatly be on the phone with carvin.
  12. i'm one of em :)
  13. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey, a few questions

Did you switch string gauges, or simply move all the strings over one slot and buy a C?

did you have to adjust the trussrod at all, and did you lower the bridge saddles? How about intonation? Oddly enough i didn't have to mess with the intonation at all.

What does your action look/feel like?

Thanks for looking
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think that that sort of operation, should be left to a full-qualified surgeon!! :eek:

15. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Get married! Of course, that usually takes care of both of them! :D

16. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    You all disgust me... using pocketknives, screwdrivers, and even teeth to remove a nut...HA.:D
  17. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

Go tho the store, and get a nut-cracker. Mybe you can find one of those sets that has the little scoops with it too.;)