1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I set up a Pre-Power amp rig with an Ampeg Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pin_head_47, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Ok... this is my dillema... i have a gig coming VERY shortly, and im in need of a bigger rig. A fellow band member is letting me borrow an Ampeg BSE410hlf (400 watts, 4 ohms). I was originally going to put it on top of a Crate 15 in combo, but that amp sounded bad in general and it was waaaaay underpowered (only 150 watts, i had the gain and master full blast, which gave me the ugliest tone i can imagine... and i have to compeat against a full stack AVT150). So im thinking of using my little Fender Bassman 25 for a preamp, running it out to an old Pyramid 600 power amp from our PA, and then putting that into the Ampeg. Does this sound possible?

I like the Fender, i like the Ampeg, i just dont know how to get it all done, since ive never worked with pre-power setups before. The Fender has a 'line out' and an 'enternal speaker (which says 25 watts at 8 ohm minumum)' jack, so i thought about running from the line out, to a single side of the Pyramid (300 watts), then out to the cab. Any advice??? Sorry if i seem dim-witted, ive never done this before. Thanks for any help! :)

Peace.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    It sounds like you have the right idea.

Take a look at the power amp- it may be possible with switches on the back to run both sides of the power amp off a single input, which *might* allow you to get more power by bridging (I have no idea what Pyramid does).

If it's a BIG gig, use the PA!

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
  4. Yeah i figured the watts were waaaay too low to be putting out as much power as i thought they were. With the pyramid pushing the cab instead of the power amp inside the crate, the volume was about the same, just a bit cleaner i think. I ended up not using the Fender at all, instead i ran the Crate as-is (with the 150 watts inside pushing the 15), then i ran from the preamp-out to the pyramid, then to the Ampeg. Was definitely better sounding without having to push it as hard but i really didnt get much more volume... oh well, at least i learned from it, maybe ill just bite the bullet and buy the Ampeg so i can start saving up for a good 400-500 watt head.

Peace.