Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I Slap?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Sascrotch, Apr 14, 2001.

1. Sascrotch

Sascrotch

Feb 18, 2001
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Well i guees you can tell i dont know how to slap. Can someone tell me the hand position, what fingers you use, and maybe a picture(s)?

2. Well, first, curl all your fingers into a fist (it keeps them from accidently hitting a string or 2|ed.|)|ed.|. then stick your thumb straight out from your fist. Then try to hit the string with the left most edge of your fingernail (if you are right handed). After you make contact, keep going through the string until you come to rest on the next string down, then bounce off the next string down and use the top of your fingernail to lift the string you have just slapped off the fingerboard and let it come down and hit the fret (this is called popping). And there, you have just done a double slap!

3. Well, first you open up your hand, but don't force it. It's sort of like...a relaxed open hand.
    Then you reach back with your arm, and finally you swing through...
    oh. Wrong kind of slap. :oops: My bad. :D

Actually, with reference to what Paste said...well, I've never tried double slap/double thumbing, so I dunno if it's different that way, but I tend to strike the string with the big fat thumb joint. You know, the one farthest away from the hand? :p
    Also, I don't make a fist with my slapping hand. It's mroe of a...relaxed curl? I don't really know how to explain it, and I can't exactly take a picture of it, seeing as I was hoping to be in bed by...an hour or 2 ago. :p

4. One of the the exercises I did at first was a very simple exercise. All you do is start out on the E string (or B if playing 5) slap the first string hammer on the fifth fret and then repeat moving up a string. Just go up and down a bunch of times until you are playing real fast.

After that you then try to add in a pop to the G string in between strings. Pretty soon you find yourself very good at slapping. I used these techniques and within two weeks I could slap really well and moved onto more intricate stuff from there.

5. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    I suggest using the "classic" slap method first and then when you can do that mess around with double-thumping and that stuff.

Basically, strike the string (E or A, to begin with) with the side of your thumb near the line that marks the middle of your thumb. Bounce off the string as fast as you can (you make the note last longer with the left hand, anyways).

Remember to rotate your wrist and not slap with your thumb muscles. So in conclusion you whack the string and the bounce right off.

Hope that made some sense,
    good luck

/lovebown