1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I string a 5 string bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by michael96412, Aug 5, 2012.

1. michael96412

michael96412

Aug 5, 2012
    Hello everyone. My strings got rusted and I need to re-string it but I am not so sure how to. Do I need to use any kind of tool or can I just do it by hand?

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Sounds like you need to find a bass or guitar player whose changed strings plenty of times to help you learn and to teach and show you basic setup for your truss rod and bridge since I'll reasonably assume you have zero knowledge of these things at this time. If you dont have any such bass or guitar playing friends who will help you learn, then is best to pay a tech from local store to do setup and string change for you and show you how to do this for yourself inthe future. String change and setup should be one of the first things new player learns along with sounding notes at all frets for all strings.

3. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I'm sure there are plenty of videos on YT showing how to do it. Or pay the tech to show you how.

4. Overloaded

Overloaded Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Norway
  5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Give this a view:

6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    All you need is a wire cutter to trim the strings to length. A peg winder is handy but not essential, although some of them include a string cutter so if you don't have a wire cutter you might want to purchase one of those after all. I'd find a local "mom and pop" music store and buy the strings from them. Do that and most likely they will be glad to help you change the strings, free of charge. A place like Guitar Center might do that too but you'd have to be careful to go during a "dead" part of the day. The ones by me tend to be too busy to bother helping you with something like this when there are other people in the store.

Ken

7. michael96412

michael96412

Aug 5, 2012
    Alright thanks guys. I managed to restring it thanks to your suggestions. Tyvm :D