Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do i supe up my bass!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by P-bass man, Sep 30, 2004.

1. P-bass man

P-bass man

Sep 12, 2004
    Georgia
    Ok, so instead of buying a new bass completely, im gonna buy a 400 dollar 250 watt amp, and supe up my old bass, its cheaper, and i just plain love my bass :)

My bass it a Squier Fender P-Bass Special, it has one humbucker and... another one (darn my low bass vocab) and i need to know which wiring to get, what pickups to get (maybe an EB Humbucker?) and how to put it into my bass, without screwing it up, or having to cut away at some parts...

much gratitude if you can help!

oh, and what about some fender Jazz set ups? would those be pretty good?

Anf any help with wiring and HOW O DO IT! would be very much ablidged :)

PBM

2. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I agree with the above statement, changing out the split coil pickup might be enough. Just unscrew it, snip wires, solder new one up, screw it in. It's not so scary so long as you don't look at the wiring on the pots :D. Easy $60 fix that might improve the sound.

3. I replaced my original factory pickup in my 1976 Fender Precision in 1979 with an EMG split humbucker active setup. I don't know if they make them anymore, but that pickup rocks... incredible tone.
    It was a kit with the pickup, pots and a battery harness all pre wired. I had to stuff the battery inside the routed out part of the body.

4. P-bass man

P-bass man

Sep 12, 2004
    Georgia
    thanks you guys, i appreciatw the help, but besides the pick ups you told me, what would you recoomend? having used it or not i dont care... and the cab im getting is a Hartke 4X10, its 250, and then i have to find a pre-amp...

PBM

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    What kind of sound are you going for? Nordstrand and Lindy Fralins are highly recommended for vintage tone. Seymour Duncan quarter-pounders get a great modern tone.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Now this is one of those situations in which, if you knew just a little more, you'd know enough to be dangerous. But you're not there yet. It is a fairly simple matter to swap out pickups as suggested by the others, but it's not clear to me that you know what you're really after, or that you're in tune with the whole soldering gestalt. What do you hope to accomplish by this swap? What if you do it, and it sounds sucky to your ear? What if you overestimate your soldering skills and the new pickups explode, severing ligaments and tendons in your hand? Just a thought.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Of course, that's not to say you're suffering from a shortage of enthusiasm and exuberance.