1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I tell a Fender Am Std P-Pup from an imposter?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JaySeeDoubleYou, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Hey guys!

I just won an auction on ebay for a Fender American Standard P-Bass Pickup (Auction# 360139050533) Well, it came yesterday, and looking at it, I see no markings or clear indicators that would tell me conclusively that it's a Fender American Standard. The seller has an ebay store (the Strat-o-sphere, user id reliablefender), and has had over 100,000 transactions with a 97% positive rating.

Is there any way for me to tell for sure that I got the real deal, and didn't get bamboozled? (love that word)

I can post pics if necessary.

I also bought a set of Am Tele pickups (Auction# 300300481293) for a mod that I've got planned on my teisco. They should be arriving sometime between now and the end of the week. I know that Telecaster pickups probably go beyond the scope of this forum, but if anybody knows tele pups, I'm gonna have the same question. How can I verify that these are genuine American Fender pups and not clones? Seller does have 100% positive rating on 255 transactions.

Appreciate the help, guys!

God Bless!

-John

2. bass.player

bass.player

May 30, 2006
    Belgium
    Please explain?

3. Okay, pics coming soon. One half of the pup has a white wire coming off of it, I assume that's positive. The other half of the pickup has a black wire coming off of it. I assume that's negative. The two halves are connected by a yellow wire. If you're looking at the back sides of the pick ups vertically, the yellow connects to both pickups at the solder connection at the upper left hand side. The white and black each come off their respective posts on the upper right hand side.

Here are the numbers and letters on the back:

The printed number in the recessed box area is: 048614. This is true of both halves. The handwritten information (which looks like it was written with white sharpie) is different between the two halves, but I believe I am able to make it out:

White wired half: 61276 and SUV (or S4V)
    Black wired half: 61277 and SLM (or S6M)

The pickup covers are the darker, glossier black, as opposed to the more matte dark greyish covers you see on a lot of budget models, but that alone's not an indicator. The covers could be swapped.

Measured the pole pieces using a tape measure. The most accurate I could get was 1/16" increments. By my measure (which I can't guarantee is accurate), they look like they're right about 4/16" (or 1/4"). But I thought the poles on the 2008 pups were bigger.

Did I get cheated?

4. -Update!- I called a local lutherie shop (actually, very aptly named "The Lutherie Shop") and asked Scott down there about these pickups, gave him all the numbers off the back, etc, he looked it up, and called me back...

...They're legit. 2008 Fender American Standard Precision Bass Alnico 5. We're in good shape! Thanks for the help guys!

God Bless!

-John

5. I've never heard anything but good reviews about The Stratosphere. I've bought many things there with no problems.