How do I tell if I've blown one of my hifi speakers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by parrott, Apr 11, 2003.

1. I don't think I have, but one was sounding ugly distorted earlier - at a low volume - while the other was sounding clean and okay. It was with a CD I'm familiar with on several systems, and it's never sounded like that before.

How do I tell if I've actually blown it, or otherwise killed it?

(This is me being paranoid, there is no way I can afford some new speakers right now.)
  2. Can you smell something coming from the speakers?? cause i blown the speakers on my keyboard and i can smell something like.... burned speakers. :bassist: :oops: :rolleyes: :( :bawl:
  3. Perhaps try that speaker on another system. or switch the speakers. So what ever is on the right channel, switch to the left. If the speaker is still distorted when on the other channel... its your speaker rattling.. i'll come to that in a min.

It it still stays on the left with the different speaker.. then its the channel thats causing the distortion.

Okay, so if it follows the speaker when u switch sides. Take off the cover if u can and see if all is secure. Perhaps undo the speaker screws and reseat it. Unlikely but eh happens. Gently push on the cone in a even manner. So spread your 5 fingers around the middle of the speaker and push it in gently then out. If you hear a slight scraping noise from inside the speaker, this means your voice coil is rubbing against the magnet. Time for repair or new speaker. If it doesnt then thats okay. It may mean the small wires that make up the voice coil of the speaker have been pushed too far and are on the last legs. Again new speaker.

If it doesnt follow the speaker and the distortion is on the channel. Take the amp/stereo to a service tech. May have dry joints on the channel or a dried cap.. something electronics anyway. ;)