1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I tell if this is a real Fearful cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by campersand, Oct 25, 2018.

1. campersand

campersand

Oct 26, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I got an offer to buy this cabinet for $525 shipped. The owner claims he bought it from someone else who had bought it used, so he has no idea who the builder is. I'd jump on it if I knew it were the real thing but I'm not sure how to tell, or if there's any way to tell just by looking. Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Is this a long distance thing or can you try before you buy?

A tape measure and a look at the backs of the drivers would get you 99% of the way there.

HolmeBass likes this.
  3. campersand

campersand

Oct 26, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Unfortunately it's on the other side of the country.

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Suppose you can ask the seller for photos with a tape measure in and photos of the disassembled drivers but at that point the seller may politely suggest you buy another cab.

campersand likes this.
  5. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    Looks pretty consistent to a 12/6, but I'll pretty much guarantee it was someone's diy project. Educated guess the crossovers were pre made on PC boards. If the seller would be willing to pull the woofer to take a look.. IMO, for the price if you shopped a bit for components you could make your own and be sure..

RobTheRiot likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Uh.... that one is not done very well.

You do realize you can buy a kit with pre cut boards, speakers and every nut bolt and screw you need for $319, right?

greenboy fEARful 12/6 Bass guitar DIY speaker kit. Your own custom bass guitar cabinet

Buy your own and do it better than that guy did.

7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi campersand :)

I am "full of fear" that this is not a good deal! :(

:thumbsup: This!!!!

Wise(b)ass

hintz and ObsessiveArcher like this.
  8. blip

blip

Jun 1, 2010
    MPLS, MN
    The deluxe kit is just speakers, crossover and hardware. If you're handy with a saw, I think a single 5x5 sheet of Baltic Birch will make a 12/6. Otherwise, it's another $160 for Leland's flat pack. Roll your own damping.

$480 + shipping for a complete 12/6 kit with no upgrades (neo mid, tweeter, true xover, duratex etc). After all the options you might want, paying a few hundred more to have a Fearless made doesn't seem too crazy. Course, if you shop around for drivers and cut your own wood, you could drive the cost down.

I'd love a real 12/6 someday, but that's a lotta coin. I got a great deal on an Avatar SB126 loaded with a 3012LF. Built the CBG xover, and it sounds better than anything I've ever played. It's a nEarful at best, but for my money it's amazing. Just a friendly word for my fellow greenboy thrill seekers...

Skillet, wave rider and campersand like this.
  9. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Is the seller calling it a fEARful ?

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    IMG_6755.JPG IMG_6778.JPG If anything that is a homemade attempt at a FearLESS, much LESS. JMHO

EDIT: Wait a minute, where's the horn? That's not a FearLESS at all.

Here's my Fearless F112 for reference. It was hand made by an authorized Fearless builder. It cost ALOT more than the cab that you're looking at. More than TWICE the price.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  11. campersand

campersand

Oct 26, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I've considered this but I'm not much of a DIYer and have had a hard time sussing out exactly how much work/skill this would require, even after joining the Greenboy forum. And, like blip says, it would actually be $480 for the bare minimum of what I'd need.

12. campersand

campersand

Oct 26, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Yes. I mean, he's not using the stylized capitalization but he says it's a Greenboy Fearful 12/6.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Get the external measurements, the weight, a peek inside, including the mid chamber, a look at the back of the mid and sub drivers, and close-ups of the cross-over. It is in the seller's interest to know if it is a real fEARful, because if it is not, a buyer might well want a refund.

hintz and Bill Whitehurst like this.
  14. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Says it's fearful

Don't look like fearful

Looks ugly and overpriced to me. With a mid anxious to blow

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  15. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Nolanville, TX
    Looks like a 12/6, but as stated, I would need more verification than just a folk story with pictures.

16. Bass players as a whole seem "smarter than the average musician". A right angle is 90deg. The kit is cut perfectly. All you have to do is keep it all 90deg while the glue sets up and you will get a perfect "like a bought one" box of speakers.

That used one looks like your 8 year old builit it.

Wisebass, hintz and Omega Monkey like this.
  17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Here are the dimension and the specified drivers:
    fEARful 12/6 details

It's okay if it's just a two way. That's the way the original fEARful models were designed.

Jim Carr likes this.
  18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Have you posted the pics over on the Greenboy forum and asked if anyone has seen it before?

19. chazolson

chazolson Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Reston, VA
    Me too. And boy, was the expense worth it.

jlepre and Bassheart365 like this.
  20. It might be real, just not very attractive.
    For that much, I'd want to see at least dimensions, speakers and crossover.

hintz likes this.