Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I tell neck from bridge Jazz PU ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RATZAX, Sep 29, 2005.

1. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    I just got a set of Fender Custom Shop Jazz PU's off ebay. One has a red dot on the back and one has a blue dot on the back. Is there anyone that can tell me which pu is the bridge or neck pu?

2. Which one is longer? The long one should go in the bridge position, and the short one goes in the neck position.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yup, bridge pickup is longer. Almost always.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    assuming it's not for the MIM's that both had same size pickups, bridge pickup is 3.73", neck pickup is 3.62"

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Seems to me that I read that late model MIM Js have MIA J sized pups (i.e. unequal length).

RATZAX, how old is your MIM J and are the pickups the same length or different?

6. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Yeah, the MIM Jazz went normal in 2003, and I believe they went to standard Jazz knobs at that time, too,which makes for easier visual confirmation. Unless the knobs were changed, that is.

7. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    so does that mean that I can't replace the pups in my 2001?

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You can...you just need to buy pickups that fit... Measure them and you'll see what you need.

Most J pup sets come with unequal length pickups, you'll just need to buy two singles...