1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I tell the difference between Medium and Light D'Addario Chromes?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lowEndRick, Feb 25, 2016.

1. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I have D'Addario chromes on my P bass and I want to pick up a spare set. I can't remember if I put mediums or lights on last time. Is there a way to tell the difference without measuring with a micrometer? Silk colors?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Same silk colors. If you post a picture, chrome enthusiasts might be able to tell what's what.

3. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I believe a mic is the only way. You might end up liking the lights more, fyi...;)

4. This is why I always keep the box/wrapper from the last set of strings I put on, so that I can remind myself what they actually are.
    Only calipers would tell you, for certain, which gauge you have on.

5. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I might, but I play mostly upright so a heavier bass guitar string is less of a transition for me. On upright I also prefer a beefier string. Thanks!

I would have kept the packaging but I used it to finally cash in on a D'Addario stool for my home studio. With the new points system you no longer have to send in old packaging so I will definitely do as you suggest. Thanks

6. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well then, problem solved!

7. lowEndRick

lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    Unless of course I find out I currently have lights. That will screw up my whole perspective. I like my current set. :eyebrow: :roflmao: