Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do i tryout?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by bassplaya, Feb 2, 2004.

1. bassplaya

bassplaya

Jan 26, 2004
    Tucson
    i wanna try out for a band that plays pop rock and rock but i dont know what to play when i tryout what songs do you suggest??? :bassist:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Ask the band what they'd like you to play before the audition and then work on that. Some groups will want you to nail an existing bassline while others want someone who can jam and pick things up on the fly. You can't easily second guess that but you can ask!

Wulf

3. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Yeah, what he said. Also, play your favorite songs or the ones you're best at playing.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    If you know the bands song list - learn a few of their tunes. If you don't know their song list, ask them for a few tunes they woould like you to play for the audition. Make sure you know what key they play them in if they play it different than the actual recording. I might also learn some of the top tunes of the moment, just so you can show that you're on top of times.

Mike