1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I tune my B?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SpankBass, Nov 7, 2001.

1. I am the new owner of a 5 string, and I have no clue if my B is in tune. How do I tune it? Is it the same as the other strings (tuned in 5ths I belive its called)? My crappy electric tuner won't register the B (not even when I use the 12th fret harmonic). Thank you.

2. ble_rush

ble_rush

Jun 13, 2001
    Mty, México
    It's the same as the other strings, but is in 4ths.

You can try with the harmonic at 5th fret too.

Congratulations !

What kind of bass do you get?

3. Most basses are tuned in fourths, not fifths. Use the 5th fret harmonic on the B and the 7th fret harmonic on the E.

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    My not so crappy tuner (Boss TU-12) won't go down to low B either, but it will go down to low C, so I just fret the first fret, check, adjust as necessary.

5. Its a MIM Fender Jazz V. Expalin to me what tuned in 4ths is, I have no idea. Does that mean I have to press down on the 4th fret to get the same sound (if it were tuned) as the next string down?

6. ble_rush

ble_rush

Jun 13, 2001
    Mty, México
    It's just that starting at E (4th string), A is the fourth note (E, F, G, A), and from A (3rd string) would be D (A, B, C, D), etc. It just happens to be the 5th fret on the fingerboard.

Maybe you will have a better description from other members of TB.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    All I do to tune my B string on my five string with a tuner, is click it the tuner to open E, (that is if you manully have to tell the tuner what string your tuner, a lot automatically tell) and I hold down the 5th fret, which is equivilent to your open E and tune that way.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Rather than fret the B string at the 12th fret, get the octave overtone by lightly touching the string immediately over the 12th fret and pluck the string. I have better luck on my small tuner with that. If your tuner will pick up your E, it'll pickup the B overtone.

9. Thats what I do. But the problem is that my tuner is really meant for a guitar. So I think the that the B is too low for the B that it has on there. I just need a new tuner. I did tune it as much as my ear could by plucking the 5th fret on the B and the open E. I can do it pretty accuately on every other string because I go by the unique noise it makes when both strings are in tune, but since the B and the E are so low its harder for me to tell.