Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I tune this damn thing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by David_Swan, Jul 17, 2001.

1. David_Swan

David_Swan

Jul 15, 2001
    PR MN
    Im having a little trouble tuning this bass, I have no electric tuner or any of that stuff, I got a piano, will that work?

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    try using harmonics.. Do you know how? if you do i'm not gonna spend time typing it out... its a simple procedure

3. Harmonics won't work if the bass is completely out of tune. Gotta establish a reference first.

Using a piano will work just fine. Hit a E, tune to E from the beat freq. No prob. Then you can use 7th fret on the A string to get you close to tuned. Best bet? Get $20. Go to musician's friend and buy a Korg tuner.

4. I find tuning the A with a piano is easier. Then once thats in tune, tune all the rest.

Merls

5. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    A piano will work, but only if it's in tune too.

Got speakers on your computer? This'll work until you buy that tuner:

http://www.libster.com/lib/tuningnotes.html

You might want to just save the files and create shortcuts on your desktop. :)

6. My bass never ever goes out of tune.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    if you play by yourself you don't really need to tune up a string to any "a" or a piano. You just need to have the bass tuned to itself. But everyone has an electric tuner and that's what people usually tune to in a musical group.

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I have a $40 tuner but I never use it. I use my electric keyboard to tune my bass, I get better results. I find that my ear is just better than my tuner.

9. Built in tuner in my fx-pedal :) Korg AX1B rules :)