1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do I tune this damn thing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by David_Swan, Jul 17, 2001.

1. David_Swan

David_Swan

Jul 15, 2001
    PR MN
    Im having a little trouble tuning this bass, I have no electric tuner or any of that stuff, I got a piano, will that work?

2. "This" bass? ? ? ?

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    try using harmonics.. Do you know how? if you do i'm not gonna spend time typing it out... its a simple procedure

4. Harmonics won't work if the bass is completely out of tune. Gotta establish a reference first.

Using a piano will work just fine. Hit a E, tune to E from the beat freq. No prob. Then you can use 7th fret on the A string to get you close to tuned. Best bet? Get $20. Go to musician's friend and buy a Korg tuner.

5. I find tuning the A with a piano is easier. Then once thats in tune, tune all the rest.

Merls

6. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    A piano will work, but only if it's in tune too.

Got speakers on your computer? This'll work until you buy that tuner:

http://www.libster.com/lib/tuningnotes.html

You might want to just save the files and create shortcuts on your desktop. :)

7. My bass never ever goes out of tune.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    if you play by yourself you don't really need to tune up a string to any "a" or a piano. You just need to have the bass tuned to itself. But everyone has an electric tuner and that's what people usually tune to in a musical group.

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I have a $40 tuner but I never use it. I use my electric keyboard to tune my bass, I get better results. I find that my ear is just better than my tuner.

10. Built in tuner in my fx-pedal :) Korg AX1B rules :)