1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I tune to "Standard A"?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by snow_storm, Dec 18, 2006.

1. snow_storm

snow_storm

Apr 14, 2006
    Texas
    I heard it's similar to the tuning Korn uses, but i've never heard of it before and don't know how. Can someone tell me what to tune to please? It's for a metal band.:bassist: Is it ADGC?

2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    Korn detune a whole step from standard tuning, so a 5 string bass would be ADGCF

sometimes people refer to standard concert pitch tuning as 'A440'...meaning that the A note above middle C is 440hz

never heard anyone talk about "standard A" but i'm guessing it means one of those 2 things

3. My guess is that the term comes from standard tuning which is, of course, the usual tuning. Calling other things "standard" is silly of course, since if they were the standard then E (or B for a fiver) wouldn't be.

4. im pretty sure you need the low b to do a standard, because i think its adgcf, and to tune down a fifth from e to a would make the string way to loose, so i think its just standard tuning down one full step on a five string.

5. purduebass

purduebass \m/ Metal User \m/

Sep 27, 2006
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Endorsing Artist: Chaz Farkass Basses
    You better have thick strings if you are going to tune like that. Get a 5 string set and don't use the G. But yeah, ADGC is correct.

6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    I bet it is a reference to the intervals - standard (ADGCF) as opposed to drop A (AEADG).

I would seek out a .140/.145/.150 for that A and get a D tuning set for the balance. Don't know if you're working a 4 or a 5 string...

7. Lukeitfc

Lukeitfc

Jan 4, 2006
    I find even drop C tuning really bad on a four string. Like playing a washing line.

8. purduebass

purduebass \m/ Metal User \m/

Sep 27, 2006
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Endorsing Artist: Chaz Farkass Basses
    Also, forgot to mention that if you are indeed on a 4 string it may not work due to your bass being a 34" scale. It may not be able to support this tuning at all.

9. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    A 34" scale will do it, and string count won't matter that much. Oddly enough a 4 might be better as you will have one less string pulling on the neck. I'd suggest .145 .110 .090 .075 as a place to start, and you ought to be able to get these gauges as single strings online or at any decent music store.

The biggest issue you will have is that once strings get to about .135 to .140 they don't behave like bass strings very well. They start to lose upper harmonics because strings of that gauge don't vibrate as freely.

There are two types of strings that will help maintain the upper harmonics better - taper core, and bare core strings. This provides a smaller gauge across the bridge saddle and lets the string vibrate a bit more freely.

You can do this with strings alone but a longer scale would serve you better - I'd suggest a 36" scale instrument.

I know what it is to want this A - it is the reason I built my basses in the first place.