Implemented How Do I Turn Off Avatars Now?

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by Bongolation, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Seems impossible that the option to turn off sigs and avatars isn't available, but I can't find it.

Thanks for any guidance on this. Losing these is central to a more efficient use of any high-volume forum.

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    For signatures, click on the link in the top bar to your username, and select "preferences." There is an option for "Show people's signatures with their messages." I haven't found an option to turn off avatars.

3. I would like to know this as well so I stop being a question mark, i dont like having a avatar.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    As distressing as this is, at least I don't feel senile because I couldn't find an obvious switch.

Sigs are off for me at log-in apparently because the setting was carried over. Avatars magically appeared like an unsightly rash, though, giving me the terrible sinking feeling that they were now going to be forced. I've never seen such an unholy abomination in other board software. :crying::rage::dead::eek:

Cuter smilies..."trophies"..."likes"...forced avatars...it's like the ultimate triumph of the tween girl.

5. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon

Take a photo of a solid color, and use that.

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I have dibs on black.

7. monkeyland

monkeyland

Jul 1, 2008
    Ft Myers, Florida
    Endorsing artist: Curt Mangan Strings, JH Audio
    I just want to not have to see all of the avatars in the thread view. I especially want to not see the thumbnails in the classifieds.

8. Dibs on purple, solid color avatars FTW.

9. I like avatars, but IMO they are too large, leaving too much white space underneath shorter one and two line posts.

rydin4lifebass likes this.
  10. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    My goal is simple: I never want to see another avatar on a forum as long as I live.

Until today, here, this was not hard. Every other forum I've seen in this century has an option to turn them (and sigs) off, which greatly speeds up going through a busy forum.

11. Would be great to be able to disable avatars with this specific forum engine.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    So, does the lack of an answer on this mean I'm not mistaken, and we really are stuck with looking at space-wasting and otherwise annoying avatars we don't want to see?

Or is the management just too busy to respond?

13. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Would also like a resolution to this issue.

14. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    You can't turn off avatars, Sorry :unsure: I can see about having some custom coding done for this, I'll add to suggestions.

15. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    There is now a new style "TalkBass 2014 Compact" which hides avatars, join dates, and locations offering a more compact layout.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021