Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I unzip files?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RAM, Oct 9, 2002.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm no computer expert, that's for sure...I'm trying to download some applications off the internet, but each one I come across is zipped. Can someone walk me through how to unzip files?

I'm on Windows 2000, if that helps...

Thanks!:D

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I think first you need to download Winzip from somewhere like cnet or zdnet.

3. You need a program like WinZip or WinRAR to unzip the file. WinZip is more or less the standard program that people used to decompress these files. If you have WinZip on your computer, you can right-click on the file's icon and you should be able to select WinZip -> extract to. You specify where you want to unzip the files (such as desktop, or my documents etc).

If you don't have WinZip on your computer, you can download it for free. It may be a trial version only though.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You may already have some kinda unzip application on your computer. Here's a simple way to check. Click on "My Computer", then go to the drive which contains the file you downloaded (most likely C: drive), the go to the directory that you dl'ed it to. Once you get to the zipped file put your mouse pointer over it and RIGHT click. A menu will open up next to the file icon. If there is a choice that says something like "extract all files" or something about extract then you should be able to unzip. Just choose the extract option with your mouse and voila! It will probably ask you where you want to extract it to also and you can browse to indicate the directory.

If you don't have extract as an option then you'll have to do as turock said and dl winzip. You should be able to get it off www.download.com.

brad cook

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  6. tar zfvx filename.tar.gz

oh w8.. windows.. uhm.. yeah, winrar it is !

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Winzip is free... what's the benefit of paying for WInRAR? Just curious.

8. faster, can decompress more fileformats, smaller, etc :)