1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I use a guitar MIDI synth?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lammchop93, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Hey all, my guitar player in my band said he'd sell me his Charvel GTM-6 MIDI synth to me for $50. I thought it would be cool to have a synth rackmount for my bass. Thing is, I don't know if this will work, or how to work it. There are no instructions or anything.

Can someone please explain if this will work, and if it will, how to do it?:confused::confused::confused:

2. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Does it include all the bits? Rack mount device, power supply, cable, guitar? If so it could work. Probably not with bass though: it's a guitar system.

3. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It will not work with your bass.

4. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    It includes all the parts.

Why will it not work for bass? It's made for a guitar, so I figured it would work for a bass.:confused:

5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    you havent spent much time in the effects forum, have you? most of us around here are less than satisfied with using guitar effects on bass. The synth system you're describing is an extreme example of a guitar effect that just plain wont work with bass, though.

6. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    I assume this uses pitch-voltage tracking? Nah, it won't work - it's not set up to track notes that low.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, I don't know about that... :confused:

However the reason that this system won't work for bass is that it requires a special pickup which is a hex pickup, meaning six strings, spaced at guitar-string spacing. Even if the brain of the system could effectively track low pitches, which most of the time these older guitar MIDI systems cannot, it wouldn't know which notes you were playing because of your 4 strings over its 6 transducers!

Here's more info I found on an arcane and obscure reference site called Google:
    http://jpsongs.com/troubadortech/mgtr.htm
    http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=161602

8. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The second link is especially helpful, it ends a few posts in with someone telling the OP to google it :p