1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how do i use a power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Aug 20, 2002.

  1. hey there... a friend of mines father gave us a power amp, and a bunch of PA speakers to use as a PA

    the thing is.. i look at it.. theres like no outputs to put to the PA speakers, or any inputs to plug the mic into... what do i need to get?
  2. ldiezman


    Jul 11, 2001
    well... if all you got was a power amp.. you can't plug mics into it.. you will have to get a mixing board for that..

    as for speaker outs.. they should be on there..... what kind of power amp is it?
  3. its an -

    SAE 2500
    solid state stero power amplifier
  4. monkeyfinger

    monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Does your friends father know how to connect it together? The reason I ask is that wiring up a PA system is fairly complex.

    You should probably get a demonstration from someone with experience. If his father can't help, then you should visit your local music store and ask for some assistance. I am sure they will love the opportunity to sell you something.

  5. im sure you would , but couldnt you just tell me what i need so i can look into it now?

    on the back it has 2 ' inputs '... but they arent like standard 1/4" input jacks

    they're smaller, and weird..

    and it does have out put stuff.. but its like this one black ' knob type thing' and a red one.. i guess for hooking speaker wires up.... theres 2 of each of these things...

    on the back it says its 1100 watts

    what kind of mixer do i need?
  6. jobu3

    jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

    Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    the two small weird things you are talking about are called banana plugs. you can get these in banana to 1/4" plugs or banana to banana. the output ones: they are only for the speakers and need speaker cables. the input ones: are either banan plug or audio auxillary cables. your local store should have the correct ones for both ins and outs. take it to them for the ones you need after you get a mixer and speakers. for both make sure to match red with red and black with black.
    as for mixers behringer makes some great ones that are affordable we got an 8 channel mixer for $100. this is what your mics and direct signals run through and then go out into the power amp's inputs. i wish my friend's dad had a spare power amp to give away! congrats man you got lucky!!!
  7. but how do i hook up the PA speakers.????

    there isnt like any output jacks to go out into the PA speakers...

    if i need Speaker cable? how am i suppused to get it in to the back of the PA speaker which uses a 1/4" jack
  8. monkeyfinger

    monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    See, the problem is that you might end up with some mis-information, or more likely not enough information. For example, you might have banana jacks on the back. If you don't wire the speakers correctly, you may get a bad sound in one case, or a lethal shock in another case. So telling you that you should use a banana plug alone could possibly to do you much more harm than good.
  9. i understand how i could be mislead with false info.

    but im just trying to get a move on with things so i can put this thing to use...

    could you guys get me a link say to musiciansfriend.com or something to the stuff i may be needing....

  10. notduane


    Nov 24, 2000
    I did a little diggin' on Google because that "SAE" name rang a bell.

    An SAE (Scientific Audio Electronics Inc) 2500 is/was a high-end,
    home stereo power amp.

    It was manufactured between 1976-78. It listed for about $1250USD.
    The 2500 was rated 300 watts per channel, had analog meters,
    gain and meter sensitivity switches.
  11. monkeyfinger

    monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Have you ever wired up a bass rig which has separate pre-amp, power amp, and speakers? If you have this is pretty much the same thing except you use a mixer instead of the pre-amp, and a mic and mic cable instead of a bass and instrument cable. Does that help?

    Otherwise I could easily write 3 pages of stuff about how to wire your PA correctly. I don't really want to do that.

    Try this:

  12. monkeyfinger

    monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Cool!! That means the speaker connectors are probably strip wire!! The inputs are likely RCA jacks.

  13. no i havent ever used a power amp before...

    so bassicly i just need to buy a mixer???

    do i hook the PA speakers up to the mixer?

    i dont need any other fancy stuff?
  14. or do i need like ... banana cable to 1/4 jack....

    and how do i work with this split wire??

    i have to go from output into PA speakers.. which are standard instrument cable jacks
  15. monkeyfinger

    monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Your not getting this are you? :(

  16. not quite... im picking up on it a little though

    its just all this things are being thrown at me in like 20 directions

    split cables!
    banana plug!

    kind of confusing
  17. Munjibunga

    Munjibunga Retired Member

    May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lex, have you ever considered bowling as a hobby?

  18. i love you to man, thanks
  19. You need a mixer to blend the signals from the microphones and other instruments together to make one signal to feed into the power amp. To feed that signal to your power amp you will probably need a 1/4"jack-to-RCA cable which you can pickup in any store, assuming you future mixer has 1/4" jack outputs and the power amp has RCA inputs which is usually the case, seing as this is a home power amp.
    Then you need to hook up the speakers to the power amp. For this you need 2 speaker cables with a 1/4" jack on one end and bare wire on the other. Always have you power amp OFF when hooking it up. If you buy a ready made cable there should be print or a label on the two joint cables that make up one speaker cable, to determine which is for + and which is for -. If you unscrew the red and black knob thingies on your power amp about halfway, you'll see they are screwed onto a threaded stud with a hole through it. Poke the bare wire marked + through stud with the red knob and the - through the one with the black knob. Since these knobs can unscrew all the way, they can also be switched so check the print under the knobs to see if red still corresponds to + etc. Then firmly tighten the knobs. Make sure the wires from the + and the - don't touch.
    Now plug the other end into your speaker and repeat for the other cable. Now you have everything hooked up. IF you have ANY doubts, ask someone local to help you out as the output of a power amp can be lethal.

    Good luck.

    Cheers Rody
  20. If you read that really fast, you'll go crosseyed!

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.