How do I use poweramps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass2020, Feb 10, 2002.

1. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    How do you use them?
    Are carvins good?
    Can a poweramp be used instead of a head?
  2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you plug your bass into a preamp of some sort (ranging from a small box like a sans amp or a compressor to a rackmounted pre like a SWR grand prix, eden navigator, ampeg svp, etc) and then run the line out from that into the poweramp of your choice, and plug your speakers into it.

yes, if you have a poweramp you don't need to have a head, just some sort of preamp. (referred to as having a "rack system" or "components")

and carvins are awesome. i have a DCM1000 that is loud, cheap, and VERY reliable. (my rack fell about 3 feet onto a concrete floor - killed my SWR interstellar overdrive preamp, but the DCM was as new)

any other questions?

3. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    What preamp is the best? I want a very clean sound, Jazz/Funk.

DCM600 or DCM1000?
    I think 600 watts is enough.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    best preamp? now THERE'S something i can't answer for sure. best is very subjective.

if you want serious hi-fi clean, i'd recommend the SWR Grand Prix. if you want clean and warm i'd recommend either aguilar pre's, the demeter, or the SWR Interstellar Overdrive (what i use and my personal favorite). there are many many others so just do a search on here for preamps and i'm sure you'll find a bunch.

and i'd go for the dcm1000. for the price difference, it's kind of a no brainer. if 600 watts is enough, 1000 is better.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    You can use a head, with an out, to drive a power amp. then you can use the Head to power the more mid-voiced cabs, and use the power amp to drive the more power hungrey 15' and 18' if you have them.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oo! I'd like to throw in my Two cents:

For Jazz/Funk, I'd go with the Eden Wt-100. Warm, with plenty of room for EQ tweaks, versatile, and I find them to be the Defacto sound. Some agree with me, others don't but in my camp, it's Eden, baby, Eden!
  7. bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    You said that you could use a Sans Amp, do you mean the D.I. box?
    What do those sound like?
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    there billed as a stomp box prea amp that emulates a tube sound, people say they use them to get an SVT sound all the time. I think they rock, I use one myself. I'd say its well worth going and trying one out.
  9. joerosen

Jan 30, 2002
    Tel-Aviv, Israel
    you know, with a regular head, pre+power. do you plug the speaker output to the poweramp?

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Usually when using a head with a power amp I would use the head to power one cab, and the power amp to add power to another cabinet. You CAN'T use the speaker output to go to the power amp!!! Just use the line out to feed the power amp.

About pre-amps...I really recommend the Aguilar DB659 as an "inexpensive" way to get the Aguilar type sound. It is incredibly warm and clear. A very nice unit. I also like the SWR IOD pre-amp. If you are looking for cleans, like Warwick5S said, the Grand Prix is a killer unit.
  11. Im kind of new to this myself but if you have a head with a build in preamp ( I have a GK 700rb) can you still buy a preamp and use it with the head? will it do anything to the sound? Also, If i want compression or something can i buy like a rack compressor and run it into my head? im sorry if this doesint make much sense, im kind of new to this.
  12. As long as your existing head has a effects loop, you can use an "outboard pre-amp" or other effects such as the compressor.

Using a different pre-amp will change the tonal qualities of your head.

Plug your line from your instrument into the pre-amp, then into the compressor or other effects you want to use. Last, plug the output of that signal chain into the "return" on your head. This will bypass the existing pre-amp in your head, and only utilize the power amp section.