Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I use window's sound recorder?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Guss, Dec 9, 2002.

1. I didn't get any responses so far at ActiveBass, so I'll try my luck here.
    I know it has been explaned to me, but I still don't understand. Does the bass actually need to connect to the computer? If so, I don't see a hole that would accomodate the cord. Do I need a microphone? I'll need to buy one if I do. I guess I need someone to explain all the connections to get me started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Get a mic. $5-10 at radioshack or similar.
    Mic plug goes into mic jack on soundcard.
    Hit record. Play bass through amp.. experiment
    with mic placement in relation to amp/drivers.
    Stop playing.
    Stop recording.
    Edit, rinse, repeat.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm no mod or anything, but you'd probably get better responses posting in the correct places. EG -"How do I use windows sound recorder?" could go in recording gear and equipment

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Terry have you used a computer before? :D j/k

Of course the bass needs to connect to the computer, how else could you record it? Magic? :D

Ok, lets go through it again. You need a jack cable - 1/4" connector at one end, 1/8" connector at the other. Failing this, a normal 1/4" jack lead (like the one you use to plug the bass into the amp) will do, but you'll need an adaptor to convert to a 1/8" jack. It's just a little thing you plug the jack lead into, and it has a 1/8" jack plug. If you don't have such a thing already, they're pretty cheap.

Ok, plug the 1/4" end into your bass. With me so far? :) Now, on the back of your computer, with a little luck, there are some 1/8" jack sockets. There will probably be at least one for headphones and one for a mic. Now, plug the 1/8" end of the lead into the mic one. So, you're basically plugging your bass straight into the computer. Then load up sound recorder, and press the record button, and start playing.

EDIT: You *could* do it using a mic as Mike A suggested, but, if you can do it, plugging the bass directly into the computer will probably work better. You probably won't get a very good sound from a cheap mic, especially with a bass. A cheap mic of the sort you get for computers probably won't have good low frequency response.

5. Cool, I'll go get the right equipment, and post a thread with my recording on it, since the active thread will probably be dead by then. Thanks!:)

umm....eek. Where would I buy one of those adaptors?:oops:

6. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    True 'nuff Moley, I just wasn't sure I wanted to devote that kinda energy :)
    For the record, I use a $10 radioshack mic into a minidisc recorder at all our practices/shows etc. It blows me away that it does so well. I never woulda believed it myself. Key is to put it literally as far away from the band as possible (in the same room :)) It picks up WAY more than it should for 10 bucks.

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Probably any kind of Hi-Fi store? I got mine in Dixons (maybe you don't have Dixons over there). Pretty cheap. I think it was called a headphone adapter kit - all it is is two little adapters, one you plug a 1/4" jack into, and gives you a 1/8" jack output, and the other is vice versa. You're interested in the 1/4" to 1/8" for this purpose. But, before you go buying one, locate the mic input on your computer and make sure it is a 1/8" jack.

8. radioshack is the answer

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I use MD as well, but how is this going to enable you to post a recording of your bass playing on this site for people to hear - which is the object of this exercise?