1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I wire a Villex pickup straight to the jack?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jibreel, Apr 8, 2010.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    For testing this pickup:

4 wires:

ground

red

white

black

Off to experiment.

Thanks

2. ewimsatt

ewimsatt

Jul 1, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Pickup Maker, Luthier, and Repairman, Wimsatt Instruments
    So it's a humbucker. You need to find out which wires go together. The best way is to call the manufacturer. If that isn't possible, take a multimeter and measure 2 wire. You will find 2 wires show a reading together and the other 2 show a reading together. At this point, you dont know which one is the start wire and which one is the end. The only real way to figure this out is with your ears. Pick one of the wires from one coil (that you figured out above) and one of the wires from the other coil (if you know for sure which one is ground, it will be the other one) and twist them together. Make the known ground the ground and the other the hot. If you hook it up and the sound is very thin, just swap out the other wire from the first coil (the one without the known ground) in the twisted pair. Then you should be golden with a thick pickup wired in series.

3. I'm interested in this also.

Have you checked http://www.villex.com/wiring.html

Also, best way to get your answer is email to Mr. Villex.

IME, his response was VERY quick.

4. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thanks !! Off to grab the volt meter.

5. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    The ground goes to the jacks' ground, and the bridge ground.
    CHANCES are the red goes to the jack output, and the other two connect to each other. That's a guess, but IME red means hot.

That Villex diagram is confusing. Why are there three pots? What is the third one doing?

6. I've read somewhere that the 50K mid pot is ESSENTIAL to Villex sound.

You can omit the treble & volume pot, but not the mid pot.

In my memory, Mr. Villex himself said that.

Anyway, contact Mr. Villex.

7. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Got it :cool:

Red and black together. Black hot

Sounds great straight into my acousitic image.

Thanks all of you.

8. Red & Black: Hot

White & Ground: Ground

Is this right?

Anyway, Congratulation!

Hope to hear some clip:hyper:

9. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Actually I soldered the white and red wires together. Black was hot. Bare ground wire ground.

10. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    The white and red wires are part of the passive midrange control circuit. If you don't need this, then you should probably leave these wires unconnected. I've run mine with and without the 50k midrange control pot, and it did not affect the tone when the pot was missing. It just sounded full and natural, as if none of the mids were being scooped out.

Black wire is signal, bare wire is ground/common.

Most Villex pickups are humbuckers inside (except the "single coil" Jazz model) but you don't get access to each coil individually.

11. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Thanks for the full details. Yeah, it sounds completely full without the mid tone pot. In fact, I did not like what the mid pot did.

12. Has anyone contacted Villex? I predict that you will get a quick response, but that you will be advised to include the mid control. Going through Villex, from my experience with him, is THE BEST, SMARTESTEST thing to do. The guy is awesome, like his products.

13. Just curious, because I have two axes with Villex; without the mid control in the circuit, does it sound more like having the mid all the way up, or all the way down? I only ask because I'm a "mid-scooped" kind of guy. I tend to keep the mids dialed way down.

14. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    Without the midrange control, it sounds like the mids are all the way "up". If you're a mid-scooped guy, then you should definitely leave it installed. :)

The midrange control circuit basically acts like a band-pass filter, which determines how much of the midrange gets "bled" to the ground. If it's not present, then none of the mids get "bled" and they all show up in the output signal.