1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How do I wire up a tone switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jun 8, 2012.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'd like to wire up a switch for a humbucking bass pickup so that the middle position is bypass (tone at 10), and the other two positions are tone at 5 and tone at 0. Am I right in thinking that I should use an on/on/on mini toggle, wire the pickup to the middle lugs, and then connect two different caps to the outer lugs and then to ground?

Thanks!

2. You would use a DPDT On-On-On, externally jumpered to SP3T. Alternatively, DPDT or SPDT On-Off-On switches work, as well.

I'll post a diagram later.

You might consider a trimmer pot for the "5" position, rather than a fixed resistor, btw.

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I need to go skinny on space here. This would be me installing a Dimarzio Will Power neckbucker on my G&L L2000 Tribute when I already have a lot of wiring mods I've done and not much control cavity space left. I might be able to install these in the battery cavity, though - I don't have a preamp in this bass anymore.

4. 7352690138_f9780b66d5_o.png

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Here's a way to use a DP3T for 3 switch positions to use with a pot - 3 separate caps.

Attached Files:

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    If I'm using a 0.047uf cap, what resistor value should I use?

7. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I used a LP style pickup selector switch for a cap switch on one of my basses. It's set up so the positions are .047uf, .08uF (.033 and another .047 in parallel), and .127uF (middle position of switch). 500K volume pot, no tone pot; I like it. No resistors.

8. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    So, there's no bypass?

Would a 0.022uf or 0.015uf have roughly half the impact of a 0.047uf? I'd like to have the effect of tone control at 100% (bypass), tone control at 0% (the 0.047uf side) and tone control at 50% (middle position).

9. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
  10. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    No bypass on that bass. The vol pot is always on, and one of the three available cap options is always engaged.

A .022 with no pot will be clackety/trebly/bright.

You really should get a handful of caps and try them before soldering anything. You can use alligator clips or just twist wires for connections to find the values you like.

Once you've figured out what caps will give you the sounds you want, then figure out how to solder it all together.

The cool thing with caps is that wiring them in parallel adds their values, so you can fine tune it to your liking with non-factory values.

I did that when I worked on the bass with .047, .08, and .127uF. After trying a bunch the .08 was the "must have". The .047 was picked because it's enough brighter than the .08 to make a definite difference, and wasn't too bright (.033 was too bright). The .127 just happened because that's how the switch works. I usually like a .1uF anyway, and that was close enough.

11. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Interesting! I'm installing an EB-0 mudbucker type pickup close to the neck on my G&L L2000 Tribute bass and I want a simplified tone control setup. It should be a pretty bassy/muddy pickup to start with, so a 0.022 might not be a bad thing for more of a "wide open" tone and then a 0.047 for a "tone knob off" kind of sound. I'm going to wire it to the switch part of a push/pull pot for an on/off switch and then possibly to a mini-toggle tone switch. No volume pot - it's either on or off.