Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do i?....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Jan 5, 2002.

1. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    <center> Ok, i need some more tension outta my current strings, preferably the b.....i will soon get new strings, but i want to know if i can turn up the tension on the strings by adjusting the saddles at the bridge??

My idea originally, was to move each saddle back a certain amount. keeping them all in the same position relative to eachother....but just further back (further from the neck)...would this help my tension? I thought it might have the same effect as lenghteningthe strings, thus making me have to make them more tense to vibrate at the same frequency...(please forgive my science....im a "artistic" student ;)) I have about 1" of space to move them back....is this ever worth it? id leave them all at the same height as they were in the 1st place.

thanx for your input...

<center>

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You adjust the saddles for intonation.

3. The tension of your strings is constant when tuned properly. This is a characteristic of the particular string and can't be changed by altering the length of the string. Besides, moving your saddles back will make your intonation so flat it would make the bass unplayable. If you want a different feel from string tension, you'll have to find the brand of string that does what you want.

And the best place to find info on that is in "Strings"!!

4. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    thanx, dont i feel dumb! :confused:

5. Nah don't worry about it, you'll soon become one of the crowd in the dumb forum. Hey there's a go. I could be a mod of the Dumb forum. eric could also help out. :p

:D:D

Merls

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Hey, you were smart enough to ask before you did it.