Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do I....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by turkish, Apr 10, 2003.

1. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    i've always dreamed of being a luthier, yet i know to make this a reality i would have to be able to offer customers sometihng unique and novel, my two i deas i ahve seeen been used in the past few months, the moving pickup (the vigier bass) and easy pop in onboard preamps (it was in the latest BP but i forget who did it).

I was rather proud of what i thought were my ideas but now that they are being used i've got a new idea in mind, are there any luthiers like Joe Zon or someihng that you guys would think might be interested in any ideas i have enough to actaully use it?

Or a way i could patent some ideas and sell the rights?

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Anybody can submit ideas for patents. Unless we have a bunch of bass playing inventors in here :D you need to research the patenting process. I have one patent to my name and it took about 3 years to go through the process (my employer paid for it all and hired the lawyers, etc.).

Getting someone to USE the idea is harder, ask Ned Steinberger. He started making insturments only because every major guitar company (including Gibson who bought him out eventually) thought his ideas were crazy.

3. justa FYI, the sliding pup thing is waaaay old.. :)

Gibson did it on the Grabber originals back in the early 70's.

I know there's another bass that has a pup that slides over 90 deg in a slice...

4. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    and i thought i was so clever

poo

5. How's about a bass setup so pickups could be interchanged in seconds, something after the style of the J bass that BP used for their pickup shootout, but not so crude. Hmmm, Antiquities to Barts in 10 seconds!

6. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    maybe you oculd do it with a rear rout and have them conect with to pins or something

7. That sounds cool. Instead of soldering, you could have pins that slide onto the flaps on pots & the jack.. Dunno if that would affect signal dramtically, tho.. :meh: