1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How do ohms work? Specific question inside

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pringlw, Apr 17, 2009.

1. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    I don't understand it all. Sorry for being dim.

My specific question is this;

I have a Mark Bass 102CMD Combo Amp (Little Mark II Head and a 2X10 Cabinet). It claims to be 500 w at 4 ohms or 300 w at 8 ohms.

I also have a 12 inch Markbass cabinet. 8 ohms.

I want to get a 15 inch Markbass cabinet - 8 ohms. Perhaps replacing the 12 inch (ie: I would sell the 12 inch cabinet).

My question is; can I connect the 12 inch cabinet - and the 15 inch cabinet together into the combo amp - or do I push it too far if I do. If you don't know the answer - how do I figure it out? I know it has to do with math relating to ohms but I must admit I just don't know how it works.

You probably get the idea - if I can use them together I'll keep the 12 inch cabinet. If I can't - I'll probably sell it.

Thanks

2. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
  3. No you cannot connect both the 12 and the 15 together at the same time while also running into the combos 210.

You run the risk of going down to 2.6 ohms, which would be below your minimum ohm load, unless it is rated for 2 ohms.

8/3= ~2.66

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, one or the other.