Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do plug I my bass to my comp?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by juanpauribe, May 20, 2004.

1. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    Im guessing theres some sort of adaptor i have to get, what is it and how much? Also, where do i plug it in exactly?

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi juanpauribe, your computer has to have a sound card, or some way to accept an external audio input. Then, since many audio inputs are RCA jacks (or some other type of connector), you'll probably need an adapter or an adapter cable to connect to the 1/4" jack on your bass. If you have an active instrument that's loud enough, you might be able to get away with plugging it directly into the computer. For most basses, and passive basses especially, you'll need some kind of a preamp to boost your signal a little so you can get a good recording level on the computer. Lots of people use a SABDDI, or a Bass POD, or even a pedal-type gain stage (like a distortion box or a compressor) can be used for this purpose. And finally, you'll need some kind of software on your computer so you can see your signal levels, and play back your tracks the way you want them.

3. The way I did it was I went to Radioshack and got a 1/4"-1/8" adapter that cost around $3. I then proceeded to plug the bass cable into it, plug the adapter into the microphone input on my computer. Now you will probably have to unmute your mic volume control so that you can have audio go through un-muted and it will record. To do this simple go to your Master Volume controls, go to Options-->Properties and check the Microphone box and hit "ok". It will then bring up a microphone control with which you must unmute. Then just play away.

Some programs you can use is Windows Sound Recorder (comes stock with the Windows OS), but it honestly sucks and won't be a joy to use. Some other programs you can look at are Acid Pro 4.0 or Sound Forge 6.0. Now, I know not everyone would condone this, but if you want to save yourself money and you got a pretty fast internet connection, go download them off of Kazaa.

This might just be me, but even with my cheap-o Ibanez GSR200 (which has weak pickups), I never needed a preamp to help boost the sound levels. I actually had to turn my volume down so it wouldn't clip.

If you got anymore questions post em up here and we will try to help you out.

Peace,
    Tyler

4. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    thanks guys, youve helped a lot. i have an active bass so i guess i can plug in directly with no problem, and if not, ill see what i can do.

so i just go to radioshack or whatever and buy a 1/4 adapter? is that how i look for it? allright. and i have audacity as a program to record my signals so i think ill be fine. thanks a lot!

5. Just get a 1/4"-1/8" adapter. Should have an opening for the instrument cable on one and end a small 1/8" plugin to plug into the computer.

6. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    guys, i got acid pro 4.0 and i was just wondering if theres any way to throw some drums into my music. i dont care if it isnt anything complex, as long as it keeps a fair beat. if not, then what program is there that has drum loops?

7. Regardless of whether your bass is passive or active, you should be able to get a decent signal level if you plug your bass directly into the microphone input. There should also a line-in input on your computer as well, and you will probably need to amplify your signal if you use this. Going from the bass straight to the computer means you will not have the added benefit of the graphic EQ or any other options you might have on your amp.

8. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    one last thing. does acid pro include a metronome? and if not, is there any way i can get one online?

oh and also, where can i get drum beats?