How do rosin multiple bows for compare?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Dave Irwin, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Any tips for how much rosin to use when demoing 3 or more bows? Is it just a matter of using less since it only takes one bow to "rosin" the strings?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    depends on the Rosin. If you are using Pops, it will build up on the strings really quickly. Maybe a few swips on the first bow and no more than a couple on the rest.

With finer rosins, it'll be less of an issue.

As an aside, I use Carlsson exclusively for practice and my own bass enjoyment, but I bought a can of Pops for a thing I did with a Orchestra this holiday season. While, certainly less refined, I can get a louder sound with Pops. Plus, it's so tacky, I can usually still get a decent bowed sound when I go into panic mode. :)

Anyway, last night, for some reason, I was compelled to take a swipe or two of Pops instead of my Carlssons before I started my exercises. IT SOUNDED AWFUL by comparison. It was so harsh sounding. The bow on the string sounded like an electric motor.

I hope I can get to the point where I never have to perform with it again. I'm really close. it had been a few weeks since I had used Pops and not only was the sound cheesy, but I don't like the bow feel as well either. I think Carlssons is the way for me.
  3. Thanks, I presently use carlsons as well.