How do Sadowsky 5 String Necks Feel In Comparison To Lakland 5-String Necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poon, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's my question. I'm a huge fan of Lakland Necks. Let me know how Sadowsky's are in comparison.
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I can only talk about 5-string necks, but you didn't specify...

They're fairly similar, in my experience. I've owned one Lakland (Skyline 55-01) and played several others, and owned two Sadowsky 5's. The basic width and profile feels pretty much the same to me, though the Sadowsky may be a bit chunkier especially near the nut, depending on the year (newer ones have slightly thinner necks than older ones).

One difference you'll probably notice is that the Sadowsky frets are bigger than the Lakland frets. The neck finish is also different, though I'm not sure exactly what each maker uses. And of course, the Sadowsky has a 34" scale as opposed to the Lakland's 35" scale--that's not a huge difference, but noticable.

3. When I compared my Lakland to a Sadowsky about 5 years ago, the neck on the Sadowsky was a little thicker with more of a rounded profile. The Lakland is slightly thinner in profile.

I think the two have very similar width at the nut, unlike an Elrick, which is noticeably wider. I think the string spacing on the Lakland is a little wider.