Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do SD Jazz 1/4 Pounders sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by p0w3rman5ooo, Feb 2, 2002.

1. p0w3rman5ooo

p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    I like the feel and body of a Jazz, but I like the P-Bass sound better, would these pickups do anything to help me move more to that sound? I have tried out a Mark Hoppus bass, and it was pretty cool, but the colors are a little too bright for me. I'm a black/red kinda guy. Any options are welcome.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm not too familiar with quarter pounders, I believe that they are hotter and brighter than regular or vintage style pickups.

This would be a better topic for the Pickups forum rather than Basses. I'm sure that a Moderator will move it soon.

3. p0w3rman5ooo

p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    Oh, my mistake, sorry about that.

4. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Well, this is good timing. I just finished replacing the pickups in my Mexican Fender P bass special tonight with SD 1/4 lbs and have been comparing them to my RIC 4003. They are very bright and aggressive sounding. Made my RIC sound smooth and jazzy by comparison, the SDs are that brassy. I like the P bass pickup better. Definitely, hotter and brighter sounding.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    No problem.;)

Moved.

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    The Warmoth option maybe? (J-body/P-pup)...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Outside of a new bod, a humbucking J-pup of some kind?...S/D Classic or Hot Stack,
    DiMarzio Model J or Ultra-Jazz.

7. p0w3rman5ooo

p0w3rman5ooo

Aug 27, 2000
    Yeah I've been thinking of these 2 pick-ups:
    Seymour Duncan SJB-2 Non-Stack Hot Jazz
    Seymour Duncan SJB-3 Quarter Pounder

I hear the stacked Hots don't sound as good as the non-stacks. I'm kinda leaning towards the QP from reviews, but the Hot Jazz scored better on the Jazz Bass pickupathon thing from Bass Player. The bodies is another thing I could do, but it's more expensive than getting a Jazz and throwing in the new pups. Then theres the problem of putting electronics in the new Jazz body.

8. Bass Player called SD 1/4 pounders "the junkyard dog" of pickups, loud, aggressive, mean and snarling!