Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do set this up?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Ok Im not a effect guy Ive owned a couple but none for Years (10) so I have some questions for the gurus

heres the scenerio and desires how do I make it hapen?

1 I have a double bass and a electric bass

2 I have a aguilar 900 DI that I want to put in front of the electics amp imput to add a little warmth to the sound

3 the double bass has 2 sorces that I blend

4 I have a woods amp that has two imput chanels I need to have the double bass going to one and the electric to the other to eq them diferently

5 Idealy I want a as direct as posible un effected signal to perserve tone

6 I want a mutable tuner in the path of bolth basses

7 I need to be able mute one bass while i play the other (and viesa versa)

8 Id like a volume pedal,compressor ,a corus,envelope filter, octave devider and ????. I was think EBS because of size but im open to Ideas this would be on the electrics path but it would be cool to have it on bolth it also would be nice to have a volume pedal on the double bass

9 I was hoping to mount everything on one of those skb some thing 6 pedal board thing cause it looks like a reasonably professional package It has power adaptors for 9 volt run efects.

Can it be done???????

what do I need to buy/build

thanks so much whomevers answers this thouroghly will probally type alot

AJ

2. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    oh yah

In a perfect world id have 2 simple imput and 2 simple outs and everything contianed on the bourd and ready to go

the DI ( but I could be convined to have a sans amp )would not mount on the bord so I could use with out it and Id have another tuner

A distortion overdrive pedal would be cool also

thanks again
    AJ

3. What you want is an A/B box to take the outputs of your basses and then run them into effects.

Rule number one is, Stay away from multi effects!! That's a tip that will get you a long way.

As for the individual effects, I suggest you look around and not just focus on one brand, it may make a great chorus but a really bad distortion or envelope filter.

4. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Yes I anticipate a a/b box or two or three and mabye a a/b/c box I just dont know exactly what and I figured somebody who's done this type of thing alot might lay out for me ?????Please

As far as which brand effects the only reason I said ebs is thier tiny and Im hoping to fit this all into one of those skb ____6 pedal boards I do relize that some compramises might be happenning

AJ

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

You said you are using two sources for the acoustic. What types of sources are they? If you are using piezo pickup or mic, are you using a separate pre-amp? It sounds like you want to blend the two sources. Raven Labs, (www.raven-labs.com), makes a very good unit for this purpose called the PMB-1. It mixes piezo or a mic source with an magnetic pickup source. You can then send the output to an A/B box. You would plug your electric bass into this and take the output to the WW. You may want to put some effects between the A/B box and the WW, adn some in the effects loop of the amp if it has one.

You may want to check out some of the offerings from L.R. Baggs too. They make a product similar to the PMB-1. If you go to the acoustic bass forum, you should be able to get more suggestions. Anyway, you likely won't want to just blend the piezo/mic source with the magnetic. It won't sound good due to the major impedence differences.

6. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Thanks
    I have one of the K+K trinity mic /bass max blender combos.I know the ravens better but thats not where im gonna spend my money now,my upright is sounding pretty soilid. Thanks for the help.

AJ

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Oh, so you already have the mixer. I wasn't aware of that.

Come to think of it, you don't even need an A/B box since you want to keep the two paths separate to the amp.

To solve the tuner problem: Does the WW have a tuner out? I suggest plugging the tuner into that. It should work for both basses.

What type of effects loop does the WW have? If it is serial, you should be able to put any effect in there. If it is buffered, which they usually are, you might get a little less response from the dynamic effects like the envelope filter and compressor that you mention. Also, you can put a volume pedal in the loop too. I recommend using an Ernie Ball. They feel great and are built like a brick sh*t house. If you are going to use it in the effects loop, buy the low impedence, 25K Ohms, version. It will have less effect on your tone.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    That is almost what I do now I run each bass into its own imput (with the ag DI in the electrics path then the tuner come out of the ww direct 1/4 inch out simple and it works but...

I cant mute when I tune

I have to turn the upright down on the blender theres no master volume so I have to reblend/mix every time I pick up the bass.

So I started thinking about a volume pedal but I was told a volume pedal would effect tone. Plus I m quickly gonna get into X number of individual units in a bag whith cabes and ands a mess and exactly why I never got into effects really

So I started thinking about a passive spitter first things first
    electric,a/b/c right? imput/to amp/to effects/tuner dead end
    Double bass A/B imput to amp/ to tuner dead end

could I some how mix both signal before the effects chain then separate them again for thier own imputs ?If not no big deal Ill probally use effects on the electric like 10 % of the time and 90% of that will be compession the amount of time I would effect the upright I just a whim easilly could be talked into keepin it out of the effected chain

thats the way Im thinkin what comes next??
    Thanks agian
    AJ

9. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I would simply run two signal paths as you are with additions in various places:

DB mixer --> Mute switch --> Stereo Volume Pedal

BG --> effects --> DI --> Mute Switch --> Stereo Volume Pedal

then both to the WW, tuner on the line out.

The stereo volume can change volume for both channels at once, but if one is muted, well you get that much. So you just build a simple cutoff switch for each bass and run 2 completely independant signal paths. If you want to run the effects on both but not run them into the same input, you'll need 2 of every effect.

Feel free to ask more.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    So its not posible to have the paths combine during the efects stage and then split them again .
    Like i previouslly said I could quckly be talk out of trying to effect the upright Iwould just like to know all my options.

The reson why Im thinkin splitters is that I could have a direct as possible signal chain when clean (Im even reluctant to put a volume pedal in the uneffected path )If you look at my list of desires youll see why my mind is asking for help because its not gonna be a simple chain.

thanks for the help though its really appreciated

AJ

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Well unless the effect is stereo, you can't preserve two independant paths.

12. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Yeah, and that would mean stereo inputs and outputs. Most "stereo" pedals have one mono input and stereo outputs.

Maybe you should consider going rack for your effects.

I would still consider the Raven Labs tools. The MDB-1 might siute you well. It has three inputs each with a buffer amp, gain control and mute switch. It also has a blendable effects loop. The only bummer for you is that it only has one output. So you would have to use an A/B box to switch channels on the amp.