Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How do spammers stay in business?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SpankBass, Mar 28, 2005.

1. I figure that there has to be SOMEONE out there writing these programs to send out mass amounts of mail and perfecting ways to bypass filters, but how the hell do they get money for this? Are there actual people that buy products they get from a subject line like "B3TTER THAN V_1AGRA!!!!!!"? I'd assume that if you send out to 1 million people you will eventually get 1 idiot, but is that all it takes to pay the bills?

2. I dunno, but let me know if you want a FREE! iPod.

(Or a pink "babyphat" phone with REAL DIAMONDS!!!)

3. I saw a study on spammers, and actually, there are more idiots than you'd think (I believe the number was 1 out of every 5 messages (20%) is actually read). Also, a lot of these spam messages have links in them to other websites, that they believe people would find "interesting." In actuality, it doesn't cost that much to continually send out spam.

EDIT: Most spammers are also paid by the company whose product is being advertised. That's how a lot of them get paid. The company on the other hand, has other avenues to publicize its product and maximize profit.

4. I'm sure it doesn't cost that much to send out spam, but there have to be programmers constantly coming up with new ways to by-pass all the filters that other programers are constantly coming up with, right? Someone has to pay them, right?

5. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Ask yourself who sends checks to these moronic televangelists. They make MILLIONS.

I hate to burst your bubble regarding mankind, but there is NO shortage of stupid people. It's nearly half a decade past the year 2000 - forget for a moment "where's my flying car, dammit?" ...let's start with the fact that we have legions of morons still looking skyward for some benevolent higher being that knows all, sees all, and yet apparently needs your check to fund his ministries.

If you ever get to thinking that we as a race are somehow relatively intelligent, just remember that humans will f*cking STAMPEDE.

[/rant]

6. I didn't want to ask myself who sends money to the televangelists. I asked about the spammers.

Maybe a televangelist discussion would be best in a different thread...you know...not mine?

7. Ahhh, yeah. While I agree, not the thread for it.

Conclusion drawn - intelligence is normally distributed. For everyone of us, there is someone on the opposite side of normal intelligence.

Leigh

8. Does anyone know if we can consider these guys loaded? Is it a high paying gig? I'm curious as hell.

9. Looking to get into it?

Leigh

10. I like annoying people, and I like money.

If I can have both, then kick ass.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    yep, I hate all those guys. I must receive at least 15 to 20 SPAM mails a day.

:scowl: :bawl: :scowl:

12. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Just offering proof that there's no intelligent life on this planet, there, sparky. Proof by example, as it were.

Sorry to "intrude" on your thread...send your checks to whomever you choose...

P.T. Barnum was da man.

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've had my 'main' email address since 1998 and it gets between 100 and 200 daily.

Spammers stay in business because spam is advertising. Major companies will pay a lot for it. Unfortunately, not only is spam an industry but spam filtering is as well. The two feed each other and until the whole email system is rewritten (which has been in discussion for years but probably won't happen inside of a decade) the problem isn't going away. Far too many people are making money from it.

Case in point: A friend of mine who is a sysadmin at a small college town ISP tells me that they use an outside spam filtering company. The company charges something like $500/mo to do it, and they do it well. The ISP has around 5000 customers and offer spam filtering for $1/mo. Most customers pay it, giving the ISP quite the monthly revenue bonus. The company itself makes quite a bit as well, obviously.

During the tech job drought in 2002, I interviewed at a place which on the surface is an opt-in email advertising company but is widely known to be a major spam source, which I didn't know at the time. While most of my colleagues around the country were working in less than stellar conditions and for low money just to stay employed, this place had all of the perks of your average 1999 Internet start-up company. Foosball, pingpong, well stocked beer fridge, an office for everyone, and a gorgeous retro-styled cafeteria overlooking an aesthetically pleasing area of downtown KC (the Plaza, for anyone who lives here too). My interviewer drove a nicely restored late '60s 23 window VW bus, which are generally not cheap conveyances. Nobody in that office was hurting for cash, and you could tell just by being there.

Since then they've gotten so big that they split off into two companies, both of which have maintained the amenities and pay their employees well.

14. :eyebrow:
    I know a reference to me when I read one.

:p