Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how DO strings affect sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by snatch, Sep 24, 2000.

1. snatch

snatch

Sep 24, 2000
    like, if i used NYLON strings on a bass, will it make it sound all medeval sounding? like a mandolin? do they even make nylon bass strings? what strings should i get for a huge, punchy, deep low sound? thanks!

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    If you want a fat, dark sound, try flatwounds or tapewounds. In answer to your question about nylon strings, there are several kinds. There are nylon - cored strings for acoustic basses, I think, but electric bassists need nylon-wrapped strings. If you are playing an electric bass, the string has to be made of a metal that will affect the magnetic field produced by your pickup. Fender, Labella, Rotosound and others make strings that are wrapped with nylon tape. These will give you a deep sound. Flatwound strings also are generally pretty fat-sounding. These are strings that have a smooth, flat, metal exterior wrap.

3. snatch

snatch

Sep 24, 2000
    so flatwounds give me a phat, low, just kinda a rumblin sound? good fore shaking the house?how long do they last?

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Some players change em every gig, some players keep them on for YEARS!

Try some Thomastik-Infield Jazz flats, expensive (about $35) but worth it. :cool:

5. snatch

snatch

Sep 24, 2000
    where can i get them? off the internet is prob cheaper, what r some good sites that wont stiff me

6. thayer182

thayer182

Oct 1, 2000
    I have used Fender nylon tape wound strings on my bass b4. they feel really good and don't hurt my fingers as much. and plus they look really awesome on my black finished bass. but the downside is I don't think they sound as good as the metallic strings. does anyone know where I can get the look of the nylon tapewound strings yet still have that metallic sound?

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    man i found this old post but, the Rotosound tape wounds are still pretty bright.

steve

8. :confused:

uh... do you know what a mandolin is?

9. and good sustain and output as well:)