Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do the gibson thunderbirds sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shaggybassplaye, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Shaggybassplaye

Shaggybassplaye

Jun 1, 2003
    i am looking to buy an old gibson thunderbird..or nixxi sixx bass..can any one tell me how they sound...and what kinda of tone i could get out of them and stuff like that

thanks
    shaggy

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If I remember correctly, they have a very 'duddy' sound to them. Some like it quite a bit. Personally, I find it a little too dead for my tastes but some like the t-birds quite a bit.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Like a P bass farting into a tin can with lousy acoustics.

...well...ok, so they're a bit on the muddy side. Sorta like a P bass, only without any real clarity. Not that "mudbucker" EB-O sound, but rather, just a really indistinct kinda whump.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    TBirds typically have a thick, fundamental-heavy tone that often works well in hard rock. A lot of players find the definition they want by using a pick. Listen to any of the early Gov't Mule recordings as Allen Woody often used a 'Bird, especially on the live stuff. I have a '79 that I have had for years (see pic below). You haven't lived until you've heard it played with a pic through a vintage SVT!

'Birds are sorta a love it or hate it proposition. Those who love 'em...REALLY love 'em. Steve "Dude" Barr is a big 'Bird fan. There are countless examples of players in rock history who favored 'em.

[​IMG]

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would second the dull, woolly and woofy comments - from what I remember - I hated the sound of all the Gibson basses that were around in the late 70s - very muddy!

But maybe that sound would suit a shaggy bass player!! ;)

6. if you're looking to play rock with a pick, i say go for it. the one i played was a killer, very punchy, closest sound i've heard to my rumblefish in series. i don't know how old it was, though, and i think if you want something that sounds "tight" for fast fingerstyle lines you should look elsewhere. but definitely try one out.

7. By my experience (having owned a few in the past) I would suggest that Tbirds sound quite different from other Gibson basses. If you want a fine example give a listen to Martin Turner on Wishbone Ash's Argus album. It's a bit dated, but that's a signature sound.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Y'know, I don't care for the sounds, but I really do enjoy the body shape of the Thunderbirds. One of these days, I'm gonna procure a Warmoth T-bird, only I'd drop some EMGs or something in it to make it a bit more tolerable in the fingerstyle department. But, that's way in the future.

9. Shaggybassplaye

Shaggybassplaye

Jun 1, 2003
    Thanks yall
    yea I think I'm gonna get one...i just cant find anyone lookin to sell...but who knows maybe ill run across one these days...im playing on a cort artisian series which is an amazing bass..but i was just looking for a diff tone...thanks again for all who replyed

and i cant remember who said it...but yea..the rock sound is just right for a shaggy bass player

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good choice, man. I bet you're gonna dig it!