how do the gibson thunderbirds sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shaggybassplaye, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Shaggybassplaye

Shaggybassplaye

Jun 1, 2003
    i am looking to buy an old gibson thunderbird..or nixxi sixx bass..can any one tell me how they sound...and what kinda of tone i could get out of them and stuff like that

thanks
    shaggy

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If I remember correctly, they have a very 'duddy' sound to them. Some like it quite a bit. Personally, I find it a little too dead for my tastes but some like the t-birds quite a bit.

3. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Like a P bass farting into a tin can with lousy acoustics.

...well...ok, so they're a bit on the muddy side. Sorta like a P bass, only without any real clarity. Not that "mudbucker" EB-O sound, but rather, just a really indistinct kinda whump.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    TBirds typically have a thick, fundamental-heavy tone that often works well in hard rock. A lot of players find the definition they want by using a pick. Listen to any of the early Gov't Mule recordings as Allen Woody often used a 'Bird, especially on the live stuff. I have a '79 that I have had for years (see pic below). You haven't lived until you've heard it played with a pic through a vintage SVT!

'Birds are sorta a love it or hate it proposition. Those who love 'em...REALLY love 'em. Steve "Dude" Barr is a big 'Bird fan. There are countless examples of players in rock history who favored 'em.

[​IMG]

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would second the dull, woolly and woofy comments - from what I remember - I hated the sound of all the Gibson basses that were around in the late 70s - very muddy!

But maybe that sound would suit a shaggy bass player!! ;)

6. if you're looking to play rock with a pick, i say go for it. the one i played was a killer, very punchy, closest sound i've heard to my rumblefish in series. i don't know how old it was, though, and i think if you want something that sounds "tight" for fast fingerstyle lines you should look elsewhere. but definitely try one out.

7. By my experience (having owned a few in the past) I would suggest that Tbirds sound quite different from other Gibson basses. If you want a fine example give a listen to Martin Turner on Wishbone Ash's Argus album. It's a bit dated, but that's a signature sound.

8. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Y'know, I don't care for the sounds, but I really do enjoy the body shape of the Thunderbirds. One of these days, I'm gonna procure a Warmoth T-bird, only I'd drop some EMGs or something in it to make it a bit more tolerable in the fingerstyle department. But, that's way in the future.

9. Shaggybassplaye

Shaggybassplaye

Jun 1, 2003
    Thanks yall
    yea I think I'm gonna get one...i just cant find anyone lookin to sell...but who knows maybe ill run across one these days...im playing on a cort artisian series which is an amazing bass..but i was just looking for a diff tone...thanks again for all who replyed

and i cant remember who said it...but yea..the rock sound is just right for a shaggy bass player

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Good choice, man. I bet you're gonna dig it!