Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how do the people use a pick?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bass_not_bass, May 20, 2001.

1. bass_not_bass

bass_not_bass

Jan 18, 2001
    I went to a metal concert a couple of nights ago and noticed that the bass player was using a pick. I also noticed that he was attacking the bass quiet agressively. and while i was in a noticing mood i noticed that when i try to use a pick i hit all four strings and i get a horrible amount of noise off of these strings that would make pklaying wiht a pick in this manner impossible for me. is there a trick to doing this or what? thanksfor the help

2. no trick, just practice. you must have control....

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

www.daddydoodle.com/holdpick.html - but there are many other ways players hold them. When I used one in the punk era, I didn't hold mine the way that site shows.

I guess you don't slap either? The skill is the same in the respect that the ability to attack the particular string you want comes with very little practice for most people....(hell, even bedroom guitars players learn how to do it).

4. I find i have a death grip on my pick when playing in my metal band. So thats why i am progressing towards doing with out it.

Its ok to use a pick because it gets a different sound to that of finger picking, so practice up and that way you can be proficient in both styles!

Merls

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    A pick is just another tool to get a different sound out of your instrument. Nothing wrong with using one.

Of course, having a good pizzicato technique is important too.

Will C.:cool:

6. The way I use a pick is a downward stroke, the occasional upward one if need be. But seriously, just practise, I started using picks cuz I was in a guitar store for an hour and decided I should buy something. The only time I finger pick now is during the bass interlude solo in Orion by Metallica, cuz it sounds so much nicer that way. But use what your most comfortable with, I find using a pick is easier when your singing, but you can do some pretty funky stuff with your fingers.

7. FLEABITE

FLEABITE

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    I use a pick for punk. You get better with practice, some people can play using the whole of their forearm - swinging the pick in and out of the strings hitting only one each time.Try playing fast eighth notes on an open A, mute the other strings with your left hand and alternate up/downstrokes. Do this for hours and eventually you'll be swinging the pick back and forth hitting the desired string- no open strings sounding, no effort!

Practice!!....Now! ;)